Ciena’s Waveserver Ai Delivers Unprecedented Levels of Scale and Power Efficiency for Data Center Interconnect
Ciena ® (NYSE: CIEN) has introduced Waveserver Ai, bringing industry-leading capacity and power efficiencies to data center interconnect (DCI) applications, along with a well-established server-like operational model that operators have come to expect from its Waveserver family. The easy-to-automate packet-optical platform enables ultra-high capacity connections between data center locations while reducing network costs for enterprises and content providers. Waveserver Ai also addresses the interconnection of multiple clouds for multi-tenant data center and cloud providers so they can offer more competitive high-speed, high-capacity services.
- Today’s web-scale providers are challenged with the need to bring more content closer to end users while data center operators are expected to deliver more high-speed connectivity to interconnect users across multiple environments. These key factors are driving surging demand for more high-capacity DCI. According to IDC, worldwide spending on public cloud services will grow at a 19.4 percent compound annual growth rate (CAGR) from nearly $70 billion in 2015 to more than $141 billion in 2019.
- Waveserver Ai provides greater capacity and service densities with minimal footprint in data centers where space comes at a premium. Leveraging Ciena’s WaveLogic Ai coherent technology, the platform scales to 2.4T in a single rack unit of space, which equates to 50–100 percent more density compared to other compact DCI platforms. Additionally, with ultra-low power per bit, operators can reduce overall energy consumption and see a positive impact on the bottom line.
- Another key benefit of Waveserver Ai is that it simplifies DCI planning and deployment with a programmable coherent chipset that can tune from 100G to 400G to maximize capacity for any distance – from metro, regional to long-haul. Using a single, compact Waveserver Ai platform, operators can deliver single wavelength 400G capacity for short-haul and 200G for long-haul DCI, doubling the capacity potential of today’s networks.
- Bringing web-scale attributes to DCI applications, Ciena’s Waveserver Ai platform offers a simplified lifecycle – from planning and ordering to provisioning and maintenance – and a server-like deployment model. With a full set of open APIs and management interfaces, the platform is easily integrated into existing or new DCI networks as well as existing operational processes.
- Operators will also be able to use Ciena’s Emulation Cloud simulation environment to create, test and fine-tune customized applications.
- Waveserver Ai will be generally available in the second quarter of 2017.
- “Internet content providers and data center operators demand open and programmable networks, the ability to provide ultra-high capacity metro and ultra-long reach subsea applications, as well as the ability to minimize power and space requirements. Ciena’s Waveserver Ai is the hammer that hits this nail on the head. By incorporating the latest generation of its WaveLogic coherent DSP technology, this new platform will be the industry benchmark in high performance data center interconnect.”
- Don Frey, Principal Analyst, Intelligent Networks, Ovum
- “An inexorable rise in bandwidth demand from cloud computing, IoT, video and more continues to put pressure on today’s networks. By pairing a high-performance optical engine with a familiar web-scale IT operational model, our Waveserver Ai platform delivers more capacity with minimal footprint and greater power efficiency for DCI and other high capacity applications.”
- Steve Alexander, Senior Vice President and Chief Technology Officer, Ciena
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is a network strategy and technology company. We translate best-in-class technology into value through a high-touch, consultative business model – with a relentless drive to create exceptional experiences measured by outcomes. For updates on Ciena, follow us on Twitter @Ciena, LinkedIn, the Ciena Insights blog, or visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
You are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements that are based on our current expectations, forecasts, information and assumptions. These statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties. Actual results or outcomes may differ materially from those stated or implied, as a result of risks and uncertainties, including those detailed in our most recent annual or quarterly report filed with the SEC. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding our expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies and can be identified by words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.