Austria Utility Leader Salzburg AG Bolsters Network with Ciena
Salzburg AG, one Austria's leading full-service providers of utilities, transport and communication solutions, is deploying Ciena’s® (NYSE: CIEN) 6500 Packet-Optical Platform to introduce a 100G coherent core network, improving network resiliency, reducing costs and increasing capacity. It will also help to prevent any disruptions due to fibre maintenance work for Salzburg AG’s customers and increase the reliability in the core of its energy and communication networks.
- Salzburg AG is an energy, communications and transport provider servicing the city and province of Salzburg, Austria. It is the leading local provider of a broad range of services, including electricity, water, gas, cable internet, telephony and TV, and it operates one of Europe’s most modern fleets of trolleybuses. With Ciena’s 6500 platform, Salzburg AG will be better positioned to accommodate the increasingly digitally-connected local market.
- The 100G coherent ROADM network being deployed is based on a flexible OTN layer. Ciena’s 6500 supports large OTN switching capacity with fast service protection to improve overall reliability for customers. The introduction of 6500 also plays a key role in building capacity in Salzburg AG’s overall network, including its connections to the Vienna Internet Exchange, the largest Internet Exchange Point in Austria.
- Kapsch BusinessCom, a Ciena BizConnect partner, is providing deployment, consultancy and maintenance support to ensure a successful installation of the Ciena 6500 platform into Salzburg AG’s network.
- The 6500 platform was awarded the 2016 Hardware Product of the Year by the global Utilities Technology Council, demonstrating its proven performance in the public utilities sector.
- “Whilst there’s a common understanding that consumers’ connectivity needs are growing, there is less discussion around how utility companies need to plan and prepare their own networks for future advancements. As a full-service provider, Salzburg AG has the foresight to see these opportunities, and today’s announcement reinforces our shared commitment to building the digital infrastructure Austria will require for the future.”
- Daniel Prokop, Regional Sales Director, Central Europe, Ciena
About Salzburg AG
Salzburg AG for Energy, Transport and Telecommunications operates important areas that contribute to all of our quality of life and economic development: energy, mobility and communication. With our products and services for electricity, natural gas, long-distance and local heating, transport (Salzburger Lokalbahnen) as well as CableLink products cable TV, internet and telephony, we ensure reliable infrastructure to life. To make the lives of the Salzburg citizens more comfortable and more sustainable in the future. Read more at www.salzburg-ag.at.
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is a network strategy and technology company. We translate best-in-class technology into value through a high-touch, consultative business model – with a relentless drive to create exceptional experiences measured by outcomes. For updates on Ciena, follow us on Twitter @Ciena, LinkedIn, the Ciena Insights blog, or visit www.ciena.com
Note to Ciena Investors
You are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements that are based on our current expectations, forecasts, information and assumptions. These statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties. Actual results or outcomes may differ materially from those stated or implied, as a result of risks and uncertainties, including those detailed in our most recent annual or quarterly report filed with the SEC. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding our expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies and can be identified by words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.