Ciena’s multi-terabit converged packet optical solutions deliver new high-speed, reliable connectivity enabling Jio to offer 4G services across India
India’s fastest growing mobile network operator Reliance Jio Infocomm Limited (“Jio”) has deployed Ciena®’s (NYSE: CIEN) multi-terabit converged packet-optical technology to power its pan-India 4G network core and help unleash digital revolution in India. Operating at speeds up to 200 Gb/s, this deployment gives Jio a high-speed, highly resilient mesh network with unprecedented scale to support its surging subscriber base and subsequent data explosion.
- Jio is India’s newest mobile network operator, with a pan-India 4G network. Jio has set up the world’s largest greenfield all-IP, video-ready network. Jio commenced operations in September 2016 and has added more than 100 million subscribers in just 170 days. Jio is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Reliance Industries.
- Jio deployed Ciena’s 6500 and 5430 Packet-Optical Platforms, powered by WaveLogic coherent technology to provide ultra-high bandwidth services across its entire network. This core network connects all major cities of India and is already carrying more than 85 percent of the total data traffic carried through Indian telecom networks, and the deployed network is ready for subscriber additions for months to come. This scale makes it one of the world’s largest multi-terabit networks.
- With Ciena-enabled OneConnect restoration, unexpected fiber route failures are restored by autonomously choosing a divergent path that provides higher uptime and unmatched customer experience compared to traditional network architectures.
- “With Ciena we are not only able to provide robust scalability to offer new levels of data consumption, which is already 8 to 10 times above market levels, but also a supreme level of confidence in our network’s reliability and level of service that stands out in our marketplace. Ciena’s coherent technological offerings and proven control plane technology is helping to make us the fastest growing 4G network in the world.”
– Jyotindra Thacker, President, Jio
- “In fast-growing markets like India, there’s a pent-up demand for more bandwidth not only for personal use, but also to sustain business growth and development. Jio understands the necessity in today’s digital environment to provide high-bandwidth services anytime, anywhere. Ciena seeks to continue our momentum across these markets in developing long-lasting customer relationships to enrich the lives of residents in these areas.”
– Steve Alexander, Senior Vice President and Chief Technology Officer, Ciena
About CienaCiena (NYSE: CIEN) is a network strategy and technology company. We translate best-in-class technology into value through a high-touch, consultative business model – with a relentless drive to create exceptional experiences measured by outcomes. For updates on Ciena, follow us on Twitter @Ciena, LinkedIn, the Ciena Insights blog, or visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena InvestorsYou are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements that are based on our current expectations, forecasts, information and assumptions. These statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties. Actual results or outcomes may differ materially from those stated or implied, as a result of risks and uncertainties, including those detailed in our most recent annual or quarterly report filed with the SEC. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding our expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies and can be identified by words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.