Hawaiki Selects Ciena to Boost Connectivity Across the Pacific
With nearly 99 percent of transoceanic data traffic traversing undersea cables, it is imperative for network operators to ensure their submarine cable investments remain capable of meeting their customers’ bandwidth needs. To address this challenge, Hawaiki Submarine Cable LP, a new entrant in the telecommunications market, selected Ciena’s (NYSE: CIEN) GeoMesh Extreme solution based on Waveserver Ai and various packet-optical networking platforms to deliver unprecedented connectivity to Australia, New Zealand, the Pacific Islands and the United States.
- Hawaiki is the only carrier-neutral bandwidth supplier in the Pacific submarine cable market. The cable began commercial operations in July 2018, delivering an initial 43.8 terabits per second additional capacity to the market. Since its inception, the 15,000 km fiber optic deep-sea cable provider has attracted strong support from government and industry leaders, including Amazon Web Services (AWS), Vodafone, and REANNZ.
- Hawaiki is the first subsea cable between the U.S. west coast and Oceania that has been optimized to support coherent wavelength technology. The cable will be upgraded with Ciena’s GeoMesh solution, which will offer Hawaiki the lowest cost per transported bit and evolve to a cumulative 67 terabits per second in transmission speeds. A 53 percent increase of Hawaiki’s design capacity was achieved just a few months after its commercial launch.
- Leveraging Ciena’s 6500 Submarine Line Terminating Equipment (SLTE) as well as the Waveserver Ai platform, both powered by WaveLogic Ai, Hawaiki can now scale from 1GbE, 10GbE, and 100GbE services over 200G and 250G wavelengths, offering a larger granularity of capacity products to its customers. Furthermore, deploying these platforms will provide greater flexibility to meet current and future bandwidth demand, including faster delivery and dynamic provisioning.
- Additionally, Ciena’s Blue Planet Manage, Control and Plan (MCP) software will improve network visibility and provide real-time software control, as well as the ability to build customized solutions.
- “As the provider of the largest and fastest link between Australia, New Zealand, and the U.S., we recognize our customers’ need for innovative capacity solutions that support a shorter time-to-market and improved revenue generation. Our collaboration with Ciena will allow us to both scale our infrastructure with minimal operational complications and meet market requirements for greater connectivity and diversity across the Pacific.”
- Remi Galasso, Chief Executive Officer, Hawaiki Submarine Cable LP
- “Hawaiki is making its mark in the Pacific region by delivering greater connectivity, diverse routes and competitive pricing that are greatly benefitting local businesses and consumers. Ciena’s optical and packet networking platforms will serve as a great complement to Hawaiki’s already extensive submarine network, addressing and adapting to the modern requirements of a bandwidth-hungry environment.”
- Rick Seeto, Vice President and General Manager of Asia Pacific and Japan, Ciena
About Hawaiki Submarine Cable LP
Hawaiki Submarine Cable LP, headquartered in Auckland, New Zealand, is the owner and developer of the Hawaiki submarine cable system (Hawaiki). Hawaiki is a carrier-neutral submarine cable linking Australia, New Zealand, Hawaii and Oregon, on the U.S. west coast. For more information, visit www.hawaikicable.co.nz.
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is a networking systems, services, and software company. We provide solutions that help our clients create more adaptive networks in response to the constantly changing demands of their users. By delivering best-in-class networking technology through high-touch consultative relationships, we build the world’s most sophisticated networks with automation and scale. For updates on Ciena, follow us on Twitter @Ciena, LinkedIn, the Ciena Insights blog, or visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
You are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements that are based on our current expectations, forecasts, information and assumptions. These statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties. Actual results or outcomes may differ materially from those stated or implied, because of risks and uncertainties, including those detailed in our most recent annual and quarterly reports filed with the SEC. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding our expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies and can be identified by words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.