KISTI and Ciena Drive High-Bandwidth Research and Collaboration with New 100GE Transoceanic R&E Network
To improve network flexibility and speed service creation and activation across both international and domestic research partners, the Korea Institute of Science and Technology Information (KISTI) is upgrading its 100G optical-transport network with bandwidth-on-demand solutions from Ciena® (NYSE: CIEN). The network upgrade will provide critical support for KISTI users' research and collaboration efforts against next-generation applications such as big data visualization, biocomputational analysis tools and information analysis models.
- KISTI is a leading national research institute in Korea. Its network connects more than 500,000 researchers at more than 190 laboratories and research facilities around the world in an effort to maximize the efficiency of science and technology research and development (R&D). Notable projects include distributed parallel processing of satellite big data, development of petascale advanced key technology for big data virtualization, and the establishment and operation of a national supercomputing infrastructure.
- To provide more reliable and secure high-bandwidth services for research partners accessing its international network, KISTI will leverage Ciena’s industry-leading 8700 Packetwave® Platform, which provides high-capacity 10GbE to 100GbE Ethernet aggregation and switching over coherent DWDM applications. Ciena’s 8700 supports the industry’s drive toward software-defined and virtualized networks and brings the attributes of Ciena’s OPn® architecture into metropolitan, regional, and inter-data center WAN networks.
- KISTI will also be able to dynamically manage the access to, and allocation of, fixed bandwidth to its multiple users and applications with Ciena’s Blue Planet V-WAN application. Additionally, Ciena’s unified management capability will provide multi-layer network monitoring, rapid and efficient service turn-up, and troubleshooting.
- KISTI already leverages Ciena’s Converged Packet Optical solutions to connect its Global Ring Network for Advanced Applications Development (GLORIAD) link to the Korea Research Environment Open NETwork (KREONET), a national R&D network managed and operated by KISTI, and organized by the Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning (MSIP).
- Ciena has an active business in serving the world’s leading research institute’s with varied network solutions focused on capacity, speed and reliability. Some of Ciena’s other institutions include CANAIRE, ESnet, Internet2, JANET, SURFnet and VERNet.
- “For more than 10 years, KISTI has provided the international research community with state-of-the-art-network technologies to meet the high performance and reliability, scalability required by advanced science research communities: high energy physics, astronomy, climate changes, supercomputing, bio-genome, and so on. With digital science increasingly generating larger sums of data, we needed to upgrade our network to enable bandwidth on-demand to remain competitive on a global scale. Given our long-standing relationship with Ciena, it was clear they were the right partner to lead us into the petascale era and enable the future-state research environment we seek to create.”
– Buseung Cho, Director, Department of KREONET Operation and Service, KISTI
- “Ciena has a long history of building powerful, programmable networks capable of the high-performance computing that bandwidth-rich applications and scientific research require. By leveraging a new on-demand business model with superior network flexibility and prompt service creation and activation, KISTI has a built-in advantage to move massive quantities of data between locations quickly, efficiently and with minimal latency to uncover scientific breakthroughs.”
– Anthony McLachlan, Vice President & General Manager, Asia Pacific, Ciena
KISTI is a leading national research institution in Korea designed to maximize the efficiency of science and technology R&D and support high-tech R&D for researchers. KISTI has laid the foundation for sophisticated R&D by collecting science and technology information from countries around the world and providing the information to companies and research institutions. KREONET built and operated by as national research network has become core growth and innovation engine to enhance R&D competitiveness since KREONET initiated and provided the first national-scale Internet service and initiated the Internet era of Korea in 1988. KISTI is providing advanced research infrastructure to contribute for the advancement of national scientific, technical and industrial development based on national supercomputer and national research network and is also responsible for enhancing scientific competitiveness of Korea by building and providing high-value-added science and technology information. Visit KISTI at http://www.kisti.re.kr/eng/.
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. Ciena leverages its deep expertise in packet and optical networking and distributed software automation to deliver solutions in alignment with its OPn architecture for next-generation networks. We enable a high-scale, programmable infrastructure that can be controlled and adapted by network-level applications, and provide open interfaces to coordinate computing, storage and network resources in a unified, virtualized environment. For updates on Ciena news, follow us on Twitter @Ciena or on LinkedIn.
Note to Ciena Investors
You are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements that are based on our current expectations, forecasts, information and assumptions. These statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties. Actual results or outcomes may differ materially from those stated or implied, as a result of risks and uncertainties, including those detailed in our most recent annual or quarterly report filed with the SEC. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding our expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies and can be identified by words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.