Ciena Brings Adaptive Networking and Software Solutions to SC18
Ciena® (NYSE: CIEN) will showcase how its optical, packet networking and software solutions continue to drive the industry forward at SC18, taking place November 11-16 at the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center in Dallas.
In addition, Ciena’s Waveserver® and Waveserver Ai stackable interconnect platforms will be used in the SCinet network to carry a total of 4.02Tb/s of traffic, using 100G, 200G and 400G wavelengths across multiple locations from as far as Chicago to the SC18 exhibition floor in Dallas.
Research Collaboration Demonstrations:
- Emerging Methods for Advanced Network Analytics using Programming Protocol-Independent Packet Processors (P4) (Booth #2847): In collaboration with Carleton University, Inventec, Barefoot Networks, and Xilinx, this demonstration will show novel methods for measuring 100GE end-to-end service performance. It will showcase a P4 programmable switch, Ciena’s Waveserver and 8700 Packet Platforms, and programmable 100G network interface cards. The demonstration will use CENI (Ciena Environment for Network Innovation), connecting the SC18 network to Ciena’s research and development labs in Ottawa, Canada.
- Edge Data Intensive Experimental Programs (Booth #1413): California Institute of Technology and its partners will demonstrate advances in Software-Defined Networking, real-time analytics, and other advanced technologies that meet challenges faced by high energy physics, astrophysics and climate science programs. Ciena’s advanced networking and software platforms were used to build part of the network.
- Applying SDN to Wide Area Network (WAN) Services (Booth #2851): The International Center for Advanced Internet Research at Northwestern University will show how programmable networking techniques will enable WAN services to be more flexible, agile and reliable. The demonstration will be supported by Ciena’s multi-100 Gbps CENI and the StarLight International and National Communications Exchange Facility,
- University of Amsterdam, DataHarbours Project: A Compute Infrastructure for Data Marketplaces (Booth #2847): Sharing and computing sensitive data is a challenge. Overall, competing parties are cautious about their data; however, there are situations where sharing data can result in a win-win situation. This demonstration will leverage a long-standing cybersecurity collaboration between Ciena and the University of Amsterdam and showcase how competing parties can allow access to data under strict policies.
Ciena Demonstrations (Booth #2847):
- Ciena will show key Blue Planet software capabilities, including:
- Blue Planet Manage, Control and Plan that revolutionizes the status quo of network management, service management and network planning processes by unifying and automating lifecycle operations across Ciena’s infrastructure.
- Blue Planet Intelligent Automation Platform that offers self-healing and self-optimization capabilities across multi-layer, multi-domain and multi-vendor networks.
- Blue Planet micro-services-based architecture designed to reduce cost and complexity in operational activities, such as rolling out feature enhancements, applying patches on the fly and scaling for performance in large networks.
- Additionally, attendees will have an opportunity to see Ciena’s industry-leading optical innovations, including:
- Liquid Spectrum™ that allows network operators to tune, control and dynamically adjust optical capacity. By combining fully-instrumented flexible optics and innovative software, Liquid Spectrum can monitor and mine all available network assets so operators can instantly respond to new bandwidth demands and allocate capacity across any path in real time.
- 8180 Coherent Networking Platform and 6500 Reconfigurable Line System (RLS) that are helping pave the way for higher density, more adaptive networks that can support high-capacity applications enabling research collaboration and new high-bandwidth experiments. The 8180 and 6500 RLS combine ultra-high density with a simple, server-like deployment and operational model to tackle complex scalability and automation challenges.
- Ciena will present an adaptive, flat optical data center network approach using only small-sized network switches and efficient optical links to solve existing network performance bottleneck challenges inside data centers and high-performance computing facilities. This novel approach increases network reliability, provides as much as a 40 percent reduction in required hardware and demonstrates throughput increases of approximately 60 percent.
Ciena Workshops (Location D163):
- Innovating the Network for Data Intensive Science (INDIS): Ciena will join the University of Amsterdam, SURFnet, Renaissance Computing Institute and Montclair State University in a workshop on November 11to present challenges and novel ideas that stretch network research and SC’s own innovative network, SCinet.
SC18 is the premier international conference showcasing the many ways high performance computing, networking, storage and analysis leads to advances in scientific discovery, research, education and commerce. The annual event, created and sponsored by ACM (Association for Computing Machinery) and the IEEE Computer Society, attracts HPC professionals and educators from around the globe to participate in its complete technical education program, workshops, a world-class exhibit area, demonstrations and opportunities for hands-on learning.
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is a networking systems, services, and software company. We provide solutions that help our clients create more adaptive networks in response to the constantly changing demands of their users. By delivering best-in-class networking technology through high-touch consultative relationships, we build the world’s most sophisticated networks with automation and scale. For updates on Ciena, follow us on Twitter @Ciena, LinkedIn, the Ciena Insights blog, or visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
You are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements that are based on our current expectations, forecasts, information and assumptions. These statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties. Actual results or outcomes may differ materially from those stated or implied, because of risks and uncertainties, including those detailed in our most recent annual and quarterly reports filed with the SEC. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding our expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies and can be identified by words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.