Rakuten Builds New Mobile Network Service with Ciena
Rakuten Mobile Network, Inc. is deploying Ciena’s (NYSE: CIEN) coherent optical platform and network management capabilities to support its new mobile network rollout. Rakuten’s mobile service leverages Ciena’s technology for a flexible and resilient network that can withstand the network demands of metro, rural and nationwide backbone, and is future-ready for 5G.
- Rakuten, an emerging mobile provider in Japan, is building a mobile network from the ground up. Rakuten aims to create an adaptive network that can scale and adjust on the fly to support mobile broadband services today and in the future.
- In partnership with Oki Electric Industry Co., Ltd., Ciena is supplying its 6500 Platform powered by WaveLogic Ai programmable 400Gbps coherent optics to Rakuten, delivering high-speed connectivity nationwide across sea and mountain routes throughout Japan.
- Rakuten is benefitting from Ciena’s Manage, Control and Plan (MCP) software that provides enhanced fault and performance management through end-to-end SDN-based network control.
- “Mobile broadband is transforming all sectors of society and offering exciting opportunities to advance the communication services needed in healthcare, education, energy services, and agriculture. Our endeavor is to deliver a rich end user mobile experience leveraging our ground breaking end-to-end cloud-native network, and Ciena’s coherent optical platform and software innovations are playing a key role in this effort.”
- Tareq Amin, Chief Technology Officer, Rakuten Mobile Network, Inc.
- “Utilizing its extensive technology knowledge and expertise, OKI will help construct Rakuten’s new mobile network with the latest technology in order to deliver fast 4G services to end users across Japan. To make this possible, we will build an innovative network in a very short amount of time using Ciena’s market leading optical and network management capabilities.”
- Masashi Tsuboi, Senior Vice President, Oki Electric Industry Co., Ltd.
- “From smartphones to tablets to laptops, users across Japan are constantly looking for the latest in innovation – and expecting the highest speed possible to power these devices. Ciena’s industry-leading technology equips Rakuten with the strongest infrastructure possible to power the next generation of mobile connectivity.”
- Hiroyuki Kume, President, Ciena Japan
Rakuten, Inc. (TSE: 4755) is a global leader in internet services that empower individuals, communities, businesses and society. Founded in Tokyo in 1997 as an online marketplace, Rakuten has expanded to offer services in e-commerce, fintech, digital content and communications to more than 1.2 billion members around the world. The Rakuten Group has over 17,000 employees, and operations in 30 countries and regions. For more information visit https://global.rakuten.com/corp/.
Oki Electric Industry
Founded in 1881, Oki Electric Industry is Japan's leading telecommunications manufacturer in the Info-telecom field. Headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, OKI provides top-quality products, technologies, and solutions to customers through its info-telecom systems and printer operations. Its various business divisions function synergistically to bring to market exciting new products and technologies that meet a wide range of customer needs in various sectors. Visit OKI's global website at https://www.oki.com/.
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is a networking systems, services and software company. We provide solutions that help our clients create the Adaptive Network™ in response to the constantly changing demands of their users. By delivering best-in-class networking technology through high-touch consultative relationships, we build the world’s most agile networks with automation, openness and scale. For updates on Ciena, follow us on Twitter @Ciena, LinkedIn, the Ciena Insights blog, or visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
You are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements that are based on our current expectations, forecasts, information and assumptions. These statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties. Actual results or outcomes may differ materially from those stated or implied, because of risks and uncertainties, including those detailed in our most recent annual and quarterly reports filed with the SEC. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding our expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies and can be identified by words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.