Gigaclear Networks Selects Ciena to Improve Connectivity in Rural Areas
Gigaclear Networks, the United Kingdom’s leading provider of full fiber broadband connectivity to rural communities recently deployed a 100G transport network across multiple countryside locations in the UK powered by optical and intelligent software solutions from Ciena (NYSE: CIEN). The enhanced network will enable internet service providers to offer advanced services, such as HD video streaming to business and residential customers.
- With this new network upgrade, rural regions in the UK including Devon, Somerset, Herefordshire and Gloucestershire will benefit from greater access to high-speed service with rapid backhaul connections from London to Bristol and Northants.
- Leveraging Ciena’s 6500 Packet Optical platform powered by WaveLogic coherent optics, Gigaclear will meet increasing 100G bandwidth requirements and offer a robust infrastructure that is highly scalable and cost-effective.
- Another benefit of this deployment is Ciena’s Blue Planet Manage, Control and Plan (MCP) domain controller software, which will automate network and service management across Gigaclear’s network and provide real-time visibility into network operations.
- “This investment reinforces Gigaclear’s commitment to bring reliable future-proof, ultrafast connectivity to both Broadband Delivery UK and commercial customers using its network.”
- Charl Tintinger, Technical Director, Gigaclear Networks
- “The proliferation of fiber communities and the need for more backhaul capacity as a result of increased data demands requires Gigaclear to have an adaptive network that lays the foundation for future growth. With an optical network powered by WaveLogic and Blue Planet MCP, Gigaclear will have a programmable infrastructure to intelligently manage its bandwidth, drive innovation and expand services outside of the London metropolitan area.”
- Jamie Jefferies, Vice President and General Manager, EMEA, Ciena
About Gigaclear Networks
Gigaclear Networks is the fastest-growing network operator building full fibre broadband in rural Britain. Its network is being deployed across 22 English counties and currently covers over 65,000 homes and businesses, delivering future proofed Fibre-to-the-Premise (FTTP) symmetrical, gigabit (1Gbps) capable connectivity to underserved communities. The network roll-out is financed by private & commercial equity, together with Broadband Delivery UK (BDUK) rural broadband programme public funds. For further information go to www.gigaclear.net or follow us on Twitter @Gigaclearnet
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is a networking systems, services, and software company. We provide solutions that help our clients create more adaptive networks in response to the constantly changing demands of their users. By delivering best-in-class networking technology through high-touch consultative relationships, we build the world’s most sophisticated networks with automation and scale. For updates on Ciena, follow us on Twitter @Ciena, LinkedIn, the Ciena Insights blog, or visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
You are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements that are based on our current expectations, forecasts, information and assumptions. These statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties. Actual results or outcomes may differ materially from those stated or implied, because of risks and uncertainties, including those detailed in our most recent annual and quarterly reports filed with the SEC. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding our expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies and can be identified by words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.