Ciena Builds Ultra-fast 400G Link and Demonstrates Terabit-Scale Switching at Supercomputing 2013
Ciena® Corporation (NASDAQ: CIEN), the network specialist, today announced that its high-capacity packet switching and transport solutions are supporting the SCinet network at Supercomputing 2013 (SC13). As part of its backing for this international conference on high-performance computing, Ciena will power a 400G link with its WaveLogic3 technology to connect the convention center to research networks across the globe. Ciena will also provide 100G technology to enable Terabit-scale layer 2 switching to support SCinet production traffic within the conference’s local area network (LAN) itself. Additionally, Ciena’s booth (#1924) will feature demonstrations of the company’s technology portfolio, highlighting how it is helping many of the world’s most advanced high-capacity networks increase bandwidth and allowing researchers to connect and collaborate on important scientific projects and discoveries. Ciena’s recently announced SDN testbed will carry a live demonstration of a multi-layer SDN controller with autonomic operations intelligence applications to the booth at SC13.
Ciena’s SC13 Highlights:
- SCinet Connectivity: Ciena, in collaboration with ESnet and Internet2, is delivering unprecedented support for the SCinet network at SC13 through a high-capacity 400G transport network. Additionally, Ciena is providing Terabit-scale packet switching for the show’s SCinet LAN. Every organization at SC13 will be connected to Ciena’s 100G, layer 2 switching facility, placing Ciena at the heart of the SCinet SC13 network and demonstrating how R&E providers can leverage exponential increases in bandwidth to conduct data-intensive research in particle physics, medical science, environmental research and astronomy.
- Booth (#1924) Highlights: Ciena’s booth at SC13 will feature a demonstration of the previously announced international SDN testbed, created in collaboration with CANARIE, Internet2, StarLight and ESnet. Featuring a prototype multi-layer software-defined networking controller with autonomic operations intelligence applications, Ciena’s SC13 demonstration will remotely communicate with the StarLight switching facility in Chicago, offering an example of how SDN can be used to create on-demand network services. An important component of Ciena’s OPn architecture, software-defined networking supports open, application-driven and analytics-enhanced control of wide area networks, laying the groundwork for more efficient capacity utilization and new advanced research applications. Ciena experts will be on hand to address topics from 1 Terabit transmission to 100G submarine networking to enable Global R&E collaboration.
- Mobile Demo Lab: Ciena’s mobile demonstration lab will bring a range of Ciena solutions to the SC13 show floor. The mobile lab will be housed onsite at the event, offering a view of Ciena’s solutions for data center interconnectivity, cloud services, video transport, and encryption and security. The mobile demonstration lab has been an important tool for Ciena’s customers to see first-hand the applications made possible when increases in bandwidth are combined with intelligence and programmability in OPn network designs.
- Speaking Engagement: Rod Wilson, senior director of network architecture will give a talk titled, “Ultra-High Speed, Long Reach 400G Transmission Made Real” at 10:30am, November 21 in room 503/504. This discussion will address the latest developments in Ciena’s terabit networking innovations, providing insight on how Ciena is making 400G a reality for transport networks through the efficient use of optical spectrum.
- Whitepaper: Exceeding 100 Gb/s in Research and Education Networks
- Webinar: Accelerating Research Efforts by Achieving Dynamic, Flexible R&E Networks
- Video: 100G and beyond for Research & Education networks
- Video: In The Lab: What Is Soft FEC?
- Video: In the Lab: 1 Terabit optical transmission
- Video: Geomesh: Don’t be left behind
Ciena is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. Ciena leverages its deep expertise in packet and optical networking and distributed software automation to deliver solutions in alignment with OPn, its approach for building open next-generation networks. We enable a high-scale, programmable infrastructure that can be controlled and adapted by network-level applications, and provide open interfaces to coordinate computing, storage and network resources in a unified, virtualized environment. For updates on Ciena news, follow us on Twitter @Ciena or on LinkedIn www.linkedin.com/ciena. Investors are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website at www.ciena.com/investors, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use.
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena's actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-Q, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on September 11, 2013. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena's expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.