Ciena Brings Capacity Closer to Network Edge with Expanded Packet Networking Portfolio
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) has added powerful new hardware and software capabilities to its packet networking portfolio that allow service providers and large enterprises to put more capacity closer to where the demand for bandwidth lives. The new platforms enable network providers to reduce overall lifecycle costs, quickly respond to changing market conditions, and rapidly roll out new 10GbE and 100GbE offerings to serve business, mobile, and content applications.
- As massive volumes of data traffic from 4G/5G mobile backhaul, Ethernet business services, and IoT applications rapidly converge on data centers, network operators are pressured to quickly deploy more connections at faster speeds while monitoring and managing the performance of those connections to deliver thousands of end-user services.
- To address these market dynamics, Ciena is extending the capabilities of its market-leading packet portfolio by placing compute power and high-capacity connectivity closer to end users – man and machine. Ciena’s new purpose-built platforms allow service providers and large enterprises to optimize costs, close the service delivery agility gap, and ensure high network availability. Ciena is introducing three new edge products and added more capacity to its industry-leading 8700 platform. Specifically, the new features include:
- Edge Access: New 3926m is a full-featured, carrier-grade platform for 10GbE service delivery that includes an expansion slot for modules supporting third party Virtual Network Functions (VNFs). The platform is ideal for Ethernet business service demarcation supporting added functions, such as third party vRouter or vEncryptor services. Also offered is a TDM circuit emulation module to support network modernization efforts.
- Edge Access: New 3928 Service Delivery Switch comprises a cost-effective 10GbE NTE that maintains the carrier-class feature set needed for efficient and reliable service delivery. Dual powered AC and DC variants with extended temperature options are available to address a variety of indoor and outdoor environments.
- Edge Aggregation: New 5170 Service Aggregation Switch that enables cost-effective delivery of carrier class 100GbE services direct to the customer premise along with dense 10GbE service aggregation in a compact, 1RU form factor. The 5170 is designed with an x86 server which powers Ciena’s Service Aware Operating System (SAOS) software and its open VNF hosting capabilities.
- Edge Aggregation: Adding more than double the capacity to the existing 8700 Packetwave platform in a space- and power-efficient chassis that gives service providers the scale required to rapidly and cost-effectively deploy more packet-based services. This capability is ideal for services of up to 100Gbps in support of enterprise business services, mobile backhaul and data center interconnect.
- Ciena’s packet portfolio leverages SAOS to provide operational efficiencies (such as secure, zero-touch provisioning) as well as consistent system and service attributes across all Ethernet and MPLS access and aggregation applications. Blue Planet adds multi-vendor service and virtual function orchestration that leverages the power of open, programmable networks to operators and end-users alike.
- “Ciena’s packet networking solutions have given us the ability to efficiently deliver and aggregate enormous quantities of data at speeds from 1GbE to 100GbE, while meeting the strict service level agreements that our customers demand.”- Jack De La Garza, Vice President of Engineering, Uniti Fiber
- “Ciena has the foresight to see where the customer trends are heading and understands what network providers must do to ‘follow where the puck is going’ to address the emerging intercept demand from bandwidth-hogging applications. Customers putting more intelligence at the edge is creating this demand in their core networks.”
- Mike Sapien, Vice President & Chief Analyst, Ovum
- “It's no secret that supporting the unpredictable bandwidth demands of today’s web-scale world is a priority and challenge for any company that operates a network. By bringing bandwidth closer to the point of end-user demand, our new packet networking capabilities make overcoming that challenge less daunting.”
- Scott McFeely, Senior Vice President, Networking Platforms, Ciena
About CienaCiena (NYSE: CIEN) is a network strategy and technology company. We translate best-in-class technology into value through a high-touch, consultative business model – with a relentless drive to create exceptional experiences measured by outcomes. For updates on Ciena, follow us on Twitter @Ciena, LinkedIn, the Ciena Insights blog, or visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
You are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements that are based on our current expectations, forecasts, information and assumptions. These statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties. Actual results or outcomes may differ materially from those stated or implied, because of risks and uncertainties, including those detailed in our most recent annual or quarterly report filed with the SEC. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding our expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies and can be identified by words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.