Angola Cables Selects Ciena for MONET Subsea Cable System
Angola Cables, a dedicated wholesale carrier, has selected Ciena’s® (NYSE: CIEN) GeoMesh and Blue Planet solutions to support its new service launch on the MONET subsea cable. This 10,556 km route will provide more than 25 Tb/s of traffic on Angola Cables’ network between the U.S. and Latin America’s major business hub of São Paulo, Brazil. Angola Cables’ wholesale customers can utilize this additional connectivity to support surging bandwidth demands driven by on-demand applications such as over-the-top (OTT) video and cloud computing.
- As a major investor in the West Africa Cable System (WACS) consortium, Angola Cables is one of the leading capacity providers for the African West Coast and plays a fundamental role in supporting the African continent’s ever-growing needs for network connectivity.
- Angola Cables is also an operator of the MONET subsea cable, an open system, where each consortium member can select the submarine line terminals for its cable fiber pairs, providing customers with greater flexibility and choice of technology. The system is expected to be in service in the second half of 2017.
- According to Frost and Sullivan, Brazil’s cloud computing market revenue is expected to reach USD $1.1 billion this year. To handle these and other network demands between the U.S. and Latin America, Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform, equipped with the WaveLogic Ai coherent optical chipset, will provide wavelengths at capacities greater than 200G between Angola Cables’ point-of-presences and without the need for regeneration.
- Additionally, Ciena’s GeoMesh spectrum sharing capability provides cost-effective connectivity while enabling wholesale customers to manage network traffic without potential disruption from other users on the open cable system.
- With Ciena’s Blue Planet Manage, Control and Plan (MCP) software and cloud-based SLA Portal, Angola Cables can better manage and maintain bandwidth and provide customers a real-time view of network behaviors that impact service level agreements.
- Angola Cables will also utilize Ciena Services for training and NOC supervision.
- “The demand for international connectivity continues to grow, and so does the need for our customers to easily manage and allocate data to end-users. With Ciena’s advanced submarine and software innovations, we improve our go-to-market strategy with best-of-breed technology so that we can provide greater connectivity for our customers. With this, Angola Cables adds a critical piece in our global coverage network, positioning ourselves as global provider for capacity related services.”
- António Nunes, CEO, Angola Cables
- “Hosting major sporting events like the Olympics and World Cup helped reinforced Brazil as a global network connectivity hub that plays a key role in bridging the gap between nations. The arrival of new submarine cables like MONET is an important next step, and helps position the country to support the ongoing transition to an on-demand society.”
- Ian Clarke, Vice President, Global Submarine Systems, Ciena
About Angola CablesAngola Cables is a multinational telecommunications company founded in 2009, which operates in the wholesale market and whose core business is the commercialization of capacity in international circuits for voice and data through Submarine Cable Systems throughout the South Atlantic and Africa. Angola Cables is responsible for the management and development of WACS (West Africa Cable System) proving carrier level services to operators in Angola and in Sub-Saharan region of the African continent, fast becoming one of the leading capacity providers in the region. It also operates Angonix (Angolan IXP) in its data center in Luanda, and is building a world-class data center and interconnection facility in Fortaleza, Brazil. Africa is today the fastest growing region of Internet penetration in the world. Angola Cables' goal is to transform Angola into one of the telecommunication hubs in Africa.
About CienaCiena (NYSE: CIEN) is a network strategy and technology company. We translate best-in-class technology into value through a high-touch, consultative business model – with a relentless drive to create exceptional experiences measured by outcomes. For updates on Ciena, follow us on Twitter @Ciena, LinkedIn, the Ciena Insights blog, or visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
You are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements that are based on our current expectations, forecasts, information and assumptions. These statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties. Actual results or outcomes may differ materially from those stated or implied, as a result of risks and uncertainties, including those detailed in our most recent annual or quarterly report filed with the SEC. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding our expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies and can be identified by words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.