Angola Cables Introduces New Spectrum Sharing Capabilities on MONET Cable
Angola Cables, a dedicated wholesale carrier, can now offer its customers customized amounts of capacity with Ciena’s (NYSE: CIEN) GeoMesh Extreme Spectrum Sharing capability. Angola Cables can reliably and securely offer highly differentiated virtual fiber pairs, which are dedicated and upgradeable portions of overall optical spectrum, to end-users over a shared physical fiber pair. Customers can access Angola Cables’ spectrum sharing capability on the MONET subsea cable, which is now live between Boca Raton, Fla. and São Paulo, Brazil, with a branching unit extension to Fortaleza, Brazil.
- Angola Cables is one of the leading capacity providers for the African West Coast and is also a service provider on the MONET subsea cable, an Open Cable system, where each consortium member can select the submarine line terminals for its cable fiber pairs, providing customers greater flexibility and choice of technology.
- Angola Cables’ customers can manage their own traffic and submarine line terminal equipment (SLTE) without the risk of impact to and from other users sharing the common open cable system. The primary benefit of Ciena’s Spectrum Sharing capability is that it provides secure, cost-effective, and reliable connectivity in the form of highly flexible spectrum partitioning allowing Angola Cables to offer virtualized fiber pair products to their end-customers.
- Last year, Angola selected Ciena’s GeoMesh Extreme with WaveLogic Ai and Blue Planet solutions and services to support its new service launch on the MONET subsea cable. The 10,556 km route currently provides more than 25 Tb/s of traffic on Angola Cables’ network between the U.S. and Latin America’s major business hub of São Paulo, Brazil.
- “With Ciena’s advanced Spectrum Sharing capabilities, we can expand our global reach by offering unique and highly differentiated virtual fiber pair products to our customers that provides them with increased flexibility and choice to best align to continually evolving and growing market demand for submarine connectivity.”
- António Nunes, CEO, Angola Cables
- “Innovative submarine operators like Angola Cables are taking note of new ways to get the most out of their existing assets to continue to differentiate service offerings. At Ciena, our Adaptive Network vision guides submarine network providers’ efforts to aid their customers in addressing increasing capacity demands. Leveraging programmable infrastructure and software control for scale, self-configuration and optimization, an adaptive network ensures subsea networks can truly adapt to change in network environments and respond accordingly.”
- Ian Clarke, Vice President, Global Submarine Systems, Ciena
About Angola Cables
Angola Cables is an Angolan telecommunications multinational, founded in 2009, operating in the wholesale market, whose main business is the commercialization of capacity in international voice and data circuits through fiber optic submarine cable systems. It is one of the largest shareholders of WACS (West Africa Cable System) providing operator-level services to operators in Angola and the sub-Saharan region, thus becoming one of the largest wholesale IP providers in the region. Its main projects - SACS and Monet - will interconnect three continents: South America, North America and Africa, as well as the Fortaleza Data Center, a Level III facility that will interconnect its cable systems creating a highly connected network.
Africa is today, the fastest growing region of internet penetration in the world. Angola Cables’ goal is to transform Angola into one of the leading telecommunication hubs on the African continent. For more information: www.angolacables.co.ao
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is a network strategy and technology company. We translate best-in-class technology into value through a high-touch, consultative business model – with a relentless drive to create exceptional experiences measured by outcomes. For updates on Ciena, follow us on Twitter @Ciena, LinkedIn, the Ciena Insights blog, or visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
You are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements that are based on our current expectations, forecasts, information and assumptions. These statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties. Actual results or outcomes may differ materially from those stated or implied, because of risks and uncertainties, including those detailed in our most recent annual and quarterly reports filed with the SEC. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding our expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies and can be identified by words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.