What is GeoMesh Extreme?
Over 99 percent of the world’s intercontinental electronic communications traffic travels across submarine cables. Bandwidth is forecast to grow at approximately 35 percent CAGR for the next several years in all submarine corridors.
With these growth figures in mind, there are three core challenges in managing your submarine network assets:
- Keeping up with voracious and ongoing global bandwidth growth
- Protecting terabits of traffic to avoiding outages from inevitable faults
- Safeguarding revenues and margins while combating ongoing price erosion
These three challenges might seem in opposition to each other—and solving them might be a daunting task. But Ciena has created the pioneering GeoMesh Extreme architecture to directly address these challenges.
Ciena's GeoMesh Extreme offers components in these four categories:
- Optical: WaveLogic™ Ai for submarine, Liquid Spectrum™, WaveLogic Photonics, C+L-band support, integrated test capabilities
- Switching: 5430 Packet-Optical Platform, 6500 Family, 8700 Packetwave® Platform, OneConnect Intelligent Control Plane
- Management: Manage, Control and Plan (MCP), Blue Planet® Multi-Domain Service Orchestration (MDSO), Blue Planet Unified Assurance and Analytics (UAA)
- Software and Services: Cloud-based SLA Portal , PinPoint C-OTDR (Optical Time Domain Reflectometer), Managed NOC Services, Network Health, Topology Discovery, Alarm Correlation
Ciena recognizes that one size simply does not serve all when it comes to managing network assets. We support cable operators in building custom solutions by choosing the components they require for purpose-built submarine networks that address their unique specific market requirements.
When GeoMesh was introduced a decade ago, it blurred the lines between submarine and terrestrial networks by viewing the network from the end-to-end service paths between central offices and—increasingly today—massive data centers. GeoMesh Extreme takes that network architecture to the next level by adding a significant number of new features and technologies built on cloud-based software innovation.
With GeoMesh Extreme in your arsenal, you’ll be able to optimize and monetize assets by designing your network from end-to-end—overland and undersea. You’ll keep up with voracious global bandwidth growth, protect terabits of traffic, and avoid outages that come from inevitable faults—all while addressing ongoing price erosion to protect revenues and margins.