What Is GeoMesh Extreme?
More than 95 percent of the world’s intercontinental electronic communications traffic travels across undersea cables. Bandwidth is forecast to grow at more than 40 percent CAGR for the next several years in all regions.
With these growth figures in mind, there are three core challenges in managing your submarine network assets:
- How can you keep up with voracious global bandwidth growth?
- How can you protect terabits of traffic and avoid outages that come from faults?
- How can you protect your revenues and margins while combating ongoing price erosion?
These three challenges might seem in opposition to each other—and solving them might be a daunting task. But Ciena has created the GeoMesh Extreme architecture to directly address these challenges.
Ciena's GeoMesh Extreme has four building block categories:
- Optical: Submarine WaveLogic Ai; WaveLogic 5 Extreme; Liquid Spectrum; WaveLogic Photonics; Waveserver Ai; 6500 Packet-Optical Family
- Switching: 5430 Packet-Optical Platform; 6500 Packet-Optical Family; 8180 Coherent Networking Platform; 8700 Packetwave Platform; Intelligent Control Plane
- Management: OneControl Unified Management System; Blue Planet Manage, Control, and Plan; Blue Planet Multi-Domain Service Orchestration; Blue Planet Analytics; Blue Planet Inventory; Blue Planet Network Health Predictor
- Services: Plan & Design Services, Deployment Services; Managed Network and Maintain Services; Analytics Services; Blue Planet Manage, Control and Plan Service; Learning Service
Because Ciena recognizes that one size does not serve all, operators can build custom solutions by choosing the building blocks they require for purpose-built networks that address specific market requirements.
Terrestrial networks have been moving toward packet-based systems because they offer many benefits, such as statistical multiplexing, over-subscription, and economies of scale. GeoMesh Extreme includes those benefits so submarine network operators can enjoy the same advantages as their terrestrial counterparts. By including packet switching, operators can seamlessly carry packet services from end-users to data centers, and everything in between—whether overland or undersea.
When GeoMesh was introduced just a few years ago, it blurred the lines between submarine and terrestrial networks by viewing the network from the end-to-end service paths. GeoMesh Extreme takes that network architecture to the next level by adding a significant number of new features and technologies built on cloud-based software innovation.
With GeoMesh Extreme in your arsenal, you’ll be able to optimize and monetize assets by designing your network from end-to-end. You’ll keep up with voracious global bandwidth growth, protect terabits of traffic, avoid outages that come from inevitable faults, and protect your revenues and margins by combating ongoing price erosion.