How GeoMesh Extreme Works
How GeoMesh Extreme changes the game
GeoMesh Extreme is built upon four components: transport, switching, management, and services. Transport includes Ciena’s submarine WaveLogic Ai, Liquid Spectrum™, WaveLogic Photonics, L-Band modems, and integrated test capabilities. Switching includes Ciena’s 5430 Packet-Optical Platform, 6500 Packet-Optical family, 8700 Packetwave® Platform, and OneConnect intelligent control plane. Management includes Ciena’s OneControl Unified Management System, Blue Planet V-WAN for on-demand connectivity, Blue Planet Manage, Control, and Plan (MCP), and Blue Planet Multi-Domain Service Orchestration (MDSO). Finally, services include Ciena’s cloud-based SLA Portal, PinPoint Coherent Optical Time Domain Reflectometer (C-OTDR), Managed NOC; Network Health, Topology Discovery, and Alarm Correlation.
With more than 95 percent of the world’s intercontinental electronic communications traffic and more than $10 trillion worth of transactions carried by undersea cables every day, the critical nature of this infrastructure cannot be overstated. And with global bandwidth consumption set to grow at over 40 percent CAGR for the foreseeable future, GeoMesh Extreme helps you overcome three core challenges in managing your submarine network assets:
- Keeping up with ongoing voracious global bandwidth growth
- Protecting multiple terabits of traffic and avoiding outages that come from faults
- Safeguarding revenues and margins while combating ongoing price erosion
Directly solving these daunting challenges is precisely why Ciena created GeoMesh Extreme.
How GeoMesh Extreme is being used and rolled out
Submarine cable operators are turning to GeoMesh Extreme for its unique architecture that leverages both submarine and terrestrial technologies. For example, GeoMesh Extreme brings SDN capabilities to submarine networks—putting functions such as analytics and machine learning to work to uncover network equipment faults before they occur in a network.
Other GeoMesh Extreme features and services include:
- SLA Portal, which dramatically improves customer satisfaction and retention by providing transparent visualization of service performance. Customers can self-diagnose network service health and verify SLA performance assurance.
- PinPoint C-OTDR, which provides visibility into the performance of multiple segments and systems of submerged plant. It also enables remote access to C-OTDRs in various sites, from a centralized NOC/data center.
- Ciena’s Managed NOC services, which extend your customers’ business with the networking skills and experience required to manage their network infrastructure, provision bandwidth growth, and minimize network downtime that impacts critical business processes.
- Network Health Predictor, which utilizes big data analytics to enable you to proactively identify and address areas where network issues might occur.
- Topology Discovery, which ensures you can utilize the network to maximum capacity by revealing actual network connectivity, stitching circuits, and identifying stranded bandwidth.
- Alarm Correlation, which groups events to reduce the number of issues you need to investigate. Because it identities related alarms and targets them simultaneously, you don’t spend as much time troubleshooting.
How Ciena helps
In 2013, Ciena changed the game with the introduction of GeoMesh, which pioneered PoP-to-PoP networking. GeoMesh erased traditional submarine-terrestrial network demarcation points, which were historical relics, in cable landing stations. In doing so, Ciena revolutionized how end-to-end networks—overland and oversea—are designed, deployed, and maintained.
Ciena has now taken this revolutionary architecture to the extreme with the launch of GeoMesh Extreme. This newest generation improves upon its forerunner by incorporating several enhancements such as WaveLogic Ai, Blue Planet MCP, Blue Planet Analytics, Packet Switching, Protection Switching, and Professional Network Services. With this enhanced, open subsea network solution, submarine cable operators can mix and match any component they require—enabling broader choice and truly Open Cables, which Ciena enabled last November with the TE SubCom partnership alliance.
Ciena understands that one size does not fit all, so cable operators can build customized solutions by choosing only the GeoMesh Extreme components they require for purpose-built networks that address specific market requirements.
With GeoMesh Extreme in your arsenal, you’ll be able to optimize and monetize subsea assets by designing your network exactly as you want it, from PoP to PoP. You’ll keep up with voracious global bandwidth growth, protect multiple terabits of traffic, avoid outages that come from inevitable faults, and protect your revenues and margins by combating ongoing price erosion. GeoMesh Extreme changes the submarine networking game, again.
Thank you. Your comment has been received and should appear on the blog shortly.