How to simplify today’s network for tomorrow’s demand
It’s time to think differently. Constantly adding more and bigger hardware platforms to increase network capacity simply isn’t viable anymore from cost, power, space, and complexity viewpoints. Cost and complexity are particularly exacerbated when building and operating standalone networks for private line and Enterprise business services, 4G/5G mobile services, and residential broadband services.
There is a better way.
An adaptive approach will eliminate complexity, provide analytics-driven network intelligence, and deliver programmable, on-demand scalability. It’s the only way to ensure you can offer differentiated services at the speed, performance, and cost levels your customers demand.
Here’s how it works:
- A leaner, more cost-effective networkReplace costly, complex legacy router platforms with simpler, streamlined Adaptive IPTM that sheds operational complexity associated with supporting obsolete and unrequired protocols, while providing the ones you do need, such as Segment Routing. This means you get the best possible use of all your network assets via a leaner and simpler network to own and operate on an ongoing basis.
- Simplifies your management requirements With a simpler, leaner common network architecture, services are easier to deploy, manage, and maintain.
- Scale your network – not your complexityBy converging and simplifying your network, you open the door to greater scalability. As converged packet (Ethernet, MPLS, IP, SR) networking equipment seamlessly integrates the optical layer, it can scale programmatically to deliver 100G to 400G and beyond. This means you can maintain pace with your customers’ growing bandwidth demands in a quicker and far more efficient manner.
- Supports ultra-low-latency apps with bandwidth at the edge Scalability from 1/10/25/100GbE aggregation to 100/200/400GbE also means you can extend your network into street cabinets and other locations closer to your end-users via environmentally hardened platforms. These rugged platforms further strengthen your ability to deliver higher speed, high-performance services, to almost any location.
- Intelligent automation for best possible service velocity Intelligent analytics-driven automation supports cloud-type programmability and optimises network and service-provisioning processes. That means bandwidth-on-demand connectivity, and service activation time cut from weeks or months, to minutes to hours. You can also automate a wide range of network activities and processes, such as inventory management, infrastructure component orchestration, traffic routing assurance, streaming telemetry data analysis, and more.
- Openness, to enable a best-in-class networkBy choosing network partners and technologies that offer open hardware platforms and software solutions, you can build best-in-class infrastructure. You can also connect easily with third-party technologies via open standards-based APIs, allowing you to integrate and operate Virtual Network Functions (VNFs) from a range of suppliers and avoid vendor lock-in, for example.
A holistic end-to-end networking approach allows you to meet growing traffic demands while simultaneously improving operational efficiency. Ciena’s Adaptive IP, with its programmable infrastructure, application-specific IP features, and intelligent automation, takes you to new levels of network scalability, performance, and control. Plus, our professional service team supports you through the entire network evolution lifecycle, from planning and solution design, to deployment and ongoing network management.
This is the second post in a series looking at how to take your network to the next level. In case you missed it you can find the first post 5 tips to scale your network, not your complexity in 2020 and beyond, or read more on 5 essentials for building a robust network.