Increased capacity lays foundation for connectivity to the masses, paves way toward 5G
Tasmanian Networks Pty Limited (TasNetworks), an electricity transmission and distribution network provider, selected Ciena’s (NYSE: CIEN) coherent optical solutions to address rising bandwidth requirements driven by IoT, 5G and data center services. To provide end-users across the state with connectivity for mission-critical tasks, Ciena’s industry-leading WaveLogic Ai coherent optical solution provides TasNetworks’ commercial technology subsidiary 42-24 with improved capacity, programmability and efficiency in its network.
- In order to adapt to dynamic requirements, especially in remote and rural areas on the West Coast of Tasmania, 42-24 requires a programmable solution that delivers more capacity for its business and government customers.
- With Ciena’s WaveLogic Ai, 42-24 can double the traffic capacity per optical wavelength deployed and extend connectivity across longer distances, achieving single-carrier 200G for long-haul applications. Importantly, this increased capacity per wavelength enables 42-24 to deploy less equipment thereby making more efficient use of network assets, reducing power consumption for a greener network, and lowering overall costs.
- WaveLogic Ai also helps determine optimal capacity for any path across 42-24’s network and can tune to different capacity levels – from 100 to 400Gb/s – in 50Gb/s increments via open software interfaces. As a result, Ciena helps the network operator reduce operational expenses and avoid manual errors.
- With Ciena, 42-24 enables customers to implement private statewide wide area networks over a carrier-grade communications network, providing the level of performance and security required for crucial applications.
- “Our goal is to provide connectivity to users who didn’t have it before. In support of government initiatives, we provide access to technology that enables people across Tasmania to create value for their community such as developing new skills and driving innovation. With Ciena, we are building a stronger foundation for a connected nation.”
- Kelly Bowring, Leader, 42-24
- “One of the biggest opportunities facing utility providers today is providing more digital services to achieve stronger business outcomes while also contributing to the future of society. With Ciena’s leading optical technology, 42-24 is transforming its business to enable reliable service for customers and deliver stronger customer experiences for all types of users across the country.”
- Matt Vesperman, Regional Managing Director for Australia and New Zealand, Ciena
About 42-24 by TasNetworks42-24, a subsidiary of TasNetworks, provides access to a state-of-the-art telecommunications network, which spans Tasmania and is connected to mainland Australia. 42-24’s vision is enabling, innovating and securing your tomorrow and we are committed to delivering value to our customers through innovation, customer experience and quality. For more information, please visit: https://42-24.com.au/.
About CienaCiena (NYSE: CIEN) is a networking systems, services and software company. We provide solutions that help our customers create the Adaptive Network™ in response to the constantly changing demands of their end-users. By delivering best-in-class networking technology through high-touch consultative relationships, we build the world’s most agile networks with automation, openness and scale. For updates on Ciena, follow us on Twitter @Ciena, LinkedIn, the Ciena Insights blog, or visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
You are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements that are based on our current expectations, forecasts, information and assumptions. These statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties. Actual results or outcomes may differ materially from those stated or implied, because of risks and uncertainties, including those detailed in our most recent annual and quarterly reports filed with the SEC. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding our expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies and can be identified by words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.