TeliaSonera International Carrier Upgrades Pan-European Network with Ciena
Ciena® Corporation´s (NYSE: CIEN) converged packet optical platform has been selected by TeliaSonera International Carrier (TSIC) for the pan-European segment of its global fibre network. By deploying Ciena’s 5400 across its core infrastructure in Europe, TSIC is creating a scalable and flexible OTN-based network that promotes its vision to support service providers with bandwidth- and network-on-demand transport services.
Benefiting from Ciena’s programmable OPn® architecture, TSIC is simplifying its infrastructure – converging SDH, Ethernet and OTN onto a dynamic infrastructure. This enables TSIC to rapidly deploy seamless, highly resilient, and agile 1G to 100G optical services to its communications service provider customers. As a result, those service providers can meet their end-users’ increasing demand for network capacity to facilitate cloud computing, mobile broadband and the continued rise of bandwidth-hungry applications.
- TeliaSonera International Carrier ranks as one of the top two suppliers of global internet backbone services1. It is also a major supplier of optical transport services in Europe and North America and was recognised as the industry’s Best Global Optical Service Provider 2012 and 20132. TSIC’s customers include over 1,000 content, operator and other communications service providers with a portfolio of DWDM, Ethernet, Internet, IPX specialised mobile services and wholesale voice.
- Ciena’s 5400 Reconfigurable Switching System is fully modular and leverages the robustness and flexibility of WaveLogic coherent optics, which allows TSIC to quickly deploy this network as foreign wavelengths over its existing line system. WaveLogic also adds scalability and programmability for the most efficient use of the network and enables enhanced network planning and automated operations for service delivery in a matter of hours.
- Ciena’s OneControl Unified Management System and OneConnect Intelligent Control Plane software, combined with intelligent mesh design, enable end-to-end control of the network for the rapid deployment of new services and ensuring it is able to respond dynamically to changes, rerouting traffic automatically should there be a break or outage.
- “We´re continuously upgrading our extensive network, enabling mission critical solutions for operators and content providers. Developing an even more scalable and flexible network is not only about meeting the bandwidth demands of today but also ensures the bandwidth demands of tomorrow.”
– Mattias Fridström, Vice President, Head of Technology at TeliaSonera International Carrier
- “Innovative carriers such as TSIC embrace technology that not only makes the network more intelligent and responsive to meet customers’ needs today, but also ensures they are well positioned for the future. By upgrading its network with our highly resilient, low-latency core infrastructure, TSIC continues to build on its position with one of the most advanced networks.”
– François Locoh-Donou, Senior Vice President, Global Products Group at Ciena
- Overview: Ciena 5400 Family
- Video: WaveLogic Coherent Optical Processors
- Overview: Ciena OneConnect Intelligent Control Plane
- Overview: OneControl: Management the way it should be
- Website: TeliaSonera International Carrier
1. Internet intelligence authority Renesy.com global internet backbone rankings retrieved 9 June 2014
2. IRR telecom Next Generation Network WDM Awards, judged by Ovum and others, 2012 and 2013
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. Ciena leverages its deep expertise in packet and optical networking and distributed software automation to deliver solutions in alignment with its OPn architecture for next-generation networks. We enable a high-scale, programmable infrastructure that can be controlled and adapted by network-level applications, and provide open interfaces to coordinate computing, storage and network resources in a unified, virtualized environment. For updates on Ciena news, follow us on Twitter @Ciena or on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/company/ciena. Investors are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website at www.ciena.com/investors, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use.
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena's actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-Q, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on June 11, 2014. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena's expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.