Nebraska Medicine Improves Patient Care with Enhanced Enterprise Network Powered by Ciena
Nebraska Medicine, a leader in oncology, cardiology and neurology services as well as organ and transplant services, is replacing its legacy network with a private enterprise network powered by Ciena’s packet networking and converged packet optical solutions. The new network will connect five geographically dispersed facilities and enable Nebraska Medicine to utilize bandwidth-intensive applications. The healthcare provider will be able to take advantage of technology advances like digital breast tomosynthesis (DBT) machines that help detect early stages of breast cancer, and also provide improved services in cardiology, radiology and other areas of medicine where enhanced digital imaging is essential.
- Nebraska Medicine includes Nebraska Medical Center, a 627 acute-care bed facility that employs more than 1,000 physicians in all major specialties and subspecialties; Nebraska Medicine – Bellevue, a 51-bed, full-service hospital that offers 24/7 emergency care and a number of other services; and Nebraska Medicine – Clinics, consisting of more than 450 doctors in 50 specialties.
- Ciena’s 8700 Packetwave and 6500 Packet-Optical platforms, equipped with integrated switching capabilities and eMOTR E-Suite modules, will help to improve patient service and customer experience by providing high-capacity packet-based connectivity between Nebraska Medicine’s five healthcare sites and two data centers.
- The 8700s deployed in Nebraska Medicine’s two data centers support 100GbE connectivity and can significantly scale to accommodate spikes in service demands from the implementation of DBT machines, new cardiology units, and other new services. The 6500s provide high-capacity interconnectivity between clinics and specialists through Nebraska Medicine’s dark fiber provided by Unite Private Networks (UPN) or over a carrier managed circuit, ensuring medical staff has instant access to patients’ updated Electronic Health Records (EHR), X-rays, and other vital information.
- With Ciena’s OneControl Unified Management System, Nebraska Medicine can rapidly deploy new services and coordinate across network protocol layers to ensure efficient use of critical network assets and bandwidth optimization. Ciena is also providing Specialist Services, including turnkey implementation, project management and technical resources.
- “As we continue to advance our world-class digital imaging services, our bandwidth requirements have skyrocketed, resulting in the need to upgrade our existing network. We chose Ciena to provide us with a new, versatile network because of their leading experience in building a reliable, carrier class packet-optical network that can accommodate our needs today and in the future.”
- Dr. Michael Ash, Chief Transformation Officer, Nebraska Medicine
- “The digitization of healthcare is in full force and many healthcare providers are confronted with the reality that their legacy infrastructures can no longer handle today’s requirements. The new network will provide Nebraska Medicine with reliable and robust connectivity that is both less costly and complex, facilitating optimum patient care.”
- Jason Phipps, General Manager and Vice President of North America Field Organization, Ciena
- Product Overview: 6500 Packet-Optical Platform
- Product Overview: 8700 Packetwave Platform
- White Paper: The Case for Network Modernization
- White Paper: Considerations for Building a Healthcare Sector Private Optical Network
About Nebraska Medicine
Nebraska Medicine is the most esteemed academic medical center in the region offering exceptional patient care combined with innovative research and education. Committed to advancing quality health care, Nebraska Medicine represents the clinical integration of The Nebraska Medical Center, the state’s largest and highest rated hospital, Bellevue Medical Center and UNMC Physicians. Our newly integrated organization allows us to strengthen our services by expanding collaboration with our partners and providing you access to more than 1,000 physicians and 678 licensed hospital beds as well as approximately 40 specialty and primary care clinics in Omaha and the surrounding area. For more, please visit: http://www.nebraskamed.com.
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. Ciena leverages its deep expertise in packet and optical networking and distributed software automation to deliver solutions in alignment with its OPn architecture for next-generation networks. We enable a high-scale, programmable infrastructure that can be controlled and adapted by network-level applications, and provide open interfaces to coordinate computing, storage and network resources in a unified, virtualized environment. For updates on Ciena news, follow us on Twitter @Ciena or on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/company/ciena. Investors are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website at www.ciena.com/investors, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use.
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena's actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-K, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on December 19, 2014. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena's expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.