NORDUnet Transforms Network with Ciena
NORDUnet, an international collaboration between the Nordic national computer networks for research and education (R&E), is transforming its network to offer flexible, high-capacity and resilient network connections to the Nordic National Research and Education Networks (NREN) community. NORDUnet is deploying converged packet optical platforms and software from Ciena®, the network specialist, for programmable 100G Optical Transport Network (OTN) switching.
This will enable NORDUnet to support demanding applications and high-bandwidth projects; such as bandwidth-on-demand, big data research, analytics and high-definition educational content.
- NORDUnet operates an optical transmission system throughout Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Iceland, Germany, Holland and the UK. With Ciena’s platforms, NORDUnet can respond rapidly to changing end-user needs and provide on-demand services, such as the spontaneous transfer of terabyte-class files amongst research institutes that are dealing with big data, for applications that support medical research, meteorology and energy research.
- This is the first venture under the DANTE (Delivery of Advanced Network Technology to Europe) framework agreement, project PRISM. Ciena has been awarded an eight year term with DANTE, enabling European NRENs to select its technology as they build and deploy next-generation networks. DANTE plans, procures, builds and operates large-scale, advanced high-speed, global R&E networks, including the pan-European GÉANT network.
- NORDUnet is deploying Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform to maximise bandwidth efficiency and network flexibility. Ciena's OneConnect Intelligent Control Plane and OneControl Unified Management System will provide improved network automation and management capabilities. In addition, Ciena’s Network Transformation Solutions (NTS) consultative practice is providing a comprehensive operations and maintenance package designed for NORDUnet’s unique requirements.
- “Research and education institutions have exceptionally demanding network needs. With Ciena’s platforms we can deliver the best possible service experience to our end-customers with the flexibility and agility to quickly react to changing network requirements and to support cross-border collaborations.”
– Lars Lange Bjørn, Manager Network Planning and Engineering at NORDUnet
- “Securing a framework agreement exemplifies Ciena’s position as a leading provider to the European NREN community. Ciena’s technology combined with its consultative approach, make it a compelling partner to support the demands of R&E services and applications.”
– Paul Rouse, Procurement Manager at DANTE
- “The framework agreement with DANTE gives Europe’s NREN community access to our agile and automated network solutions. NORDUnet is making the most of this; it plays a central role in enabling a wide range of projects, each of which has unique requirements that depend on a robust, flexible and cost-effective network. Our packet optical portfolio, software and support provide NORDUnet with a programmable infrastructure designed to deliver an on-demand experience and easily scale to meet future needs.”
– Virginie Hollebecque, Head of Enterprise and Public Sector for EMEA at Ciena
For more information please visit Ciena at stand number 8 at TNC2014, taking place from the 19th to the 22nd of May 2014 in Dublin, Ireland.
- Solutions: Research and Education
- White Paper: Exceeding 100 Gb/s in Research and Education Networks
- Ciena 6500 Data sheet: 6500 Packet-Optical Platform
- Overview: One Connect
- Overview: Network Transformation Solutions
NORDUnet (http://www.nordu.net/) is a joint collaboration by the 5 Nordic National Research and Education Networks in Denmark (DeIC), Finland (Funet), Iceland (RHnet), Norway (Uninett) and Sweden (SUNET) and operates a world-class Nordic and International network and eInfrastructure service for the Nordic research and educational community. NORDUnet monitor international network research activities and development projects and coordinates Nordic involvement in these projects. NORDUnet act as the Nordic representative towards GÉANT and DANTE bodies.
DANTE (Delivery of Advanced Network Technology to Europe) is a non-profit organisation established in 1993 that plans, builds and operates large scale, advanced networks for research and education. On behalf of Europe’s National Research and Education Networks (NRENs), DANTE has built and operates GÉANT, a flagship e-Infrastructure key to achieving the European Research Area.
Working in cooperation with the European Commission and in close partnership with Europe’s NRENs and international networking partners, DANTE remains fundamental to the success of global research collaboration.
DANTE manages research and education (R&E) networking projects serving Europe (GÉANT), the Mediterranean (EUMEDCONNECT), Sub-Saharan Africa (AfricaConnect) and Central Asia (CAREN) regions, coordinates Europe-China collaboration (ORIENTplus), and assists the projects underway in Latin America (redCLARA), Caribbean (CKLN) and Asia-Pacific (TEIN).
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. Ciena leverages its deep expertise in packet and optical networking and distributed software automation to deliver solutions in alignment with its OPn architecture for next-generation networks. We enable a high-scale, programmable infrastructure that can be controlled and adapted by network-level applications, and provide open interfaces to coordinate computing, storage and network resources in a unified, virtualized environment. For updates on Ciena news, follow us on Twitter @Ciena or on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/company/ciena. Investors are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website at www.ciena.com/investors, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use.
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena's actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors in its Report on Form 10-Q, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on March 7, 2014. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena's expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.