Marcatel Expands Ethernet Business Service Offerings with Ciena
Marcatel, one of the major service providers in Mexico, is deploying Ciena's (NYSE: CIEN) carrier Ethernet solutions to expand its Ethernet business service offerings in both Mexico and the United States. With this deployment, Marcatel will scale its network to handle surging demands for cloud computing applications, streaming video and content distribution, which continue to drive increasing demand for MEF Carrier Ethernet 2.0 (CE2.0) 10GbE/100GbE services.
- Marcatel, which is celebrating 50 years in business, operates an extensive network throughout Mexico providing high-capacity enterprise VPN services, scalable high-speed Internet access and efficient cloud interconnect services. The company’s fiber optic network is connected by its main network operating centers that interconnect major cities in Mexico and the U.S.
- In addition to providing its customers with Internet access, cloud-based applications and business continuity services, Marcatel’s customers will benefit from the advantages of Ethernet business services, like attractive economics, low latency, operational agility, and increased security and control.
- With Ciena’s 8700 Packetwave platform, Marcatel will benefit from improved power efficiency and a compact footprint to provide 10GbE/100GbE services at great scale. The award winning 8700 offers multi-terabit Ethernet switching and aggregation optimized for 10GbE and 100GbE services, which greatly simplifies metro Ethernet networking and helps Marcatel cost-effectively grow as market demand continue to evolve toward CE 2.0 services.
- Additionally, Ciena’s 3930 Service Delivery Switch as well as 5142 and 5160 Service Aggregation Switches, give Marcatel a seamless, end-to-end Carrier Ethernet solution to support the aggregation of traffic using MPLS-TP as well as SDN/NFV techniques that lay the foundation for a reliable and flexible infrastructure to support future advanced services.
- “At Marcatel we strive to ensure our network can support our customer’s needs not only today but well into the future and that requires a flexible and resilient infrastructure. With Ciena’s packet networking solutions we can evolve our network and quickly introduce advanced services like Internet access, business continuity services, and enterprise-class cloud-based applications.”
- Lauro Cantú Frias, executive vice president, Marcatel
- “Today’s cloud-centric, content driven world requires service providers like Marcatel to transform their network into an on-demand platform that provides efficient and speedy delivery of advanced business services to end users. With Ciena’s CE 2.0 certified platforms, service providers can consistently provide services that are exactly what their customers want, while also reducing service activation times.”
- Fabio Medina, vice president and general manager, Central and Latin America, Ciena
- Video: Revolutionizing Metro Ethernet Networks
- Blog: MEF CE2.0 Certified 100G Ethernet Services Hit Mainstream
- Data sheet: Ciena’s packet networking portfolio
Marcatel is the Mexican service provider with the largest presence in the world, operating in more than 100 countries. Thanks to its higher speed, capacity, intelligence and lowest latency, Marcatel's fiber-optic network offers data, cloud computing, high speed internet, contact center and video transmission of the highest quality. With headquarters based in Monterrey (MEX), Marcatel also has offices in Guadalajara and Mexico City, Houston (USA) and Montreal (CAN).
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. Ciena leverages its deep expertise in packet and optical networking and distributed software automation to deliver solutions in alignment with its OPn architecture for next-generation networks. We enable a high-scale, programmable infrastructure that can be controlled and adapted by network-level applications, and provide open interfaces to coordinate computing, storage and network resources in a unified, virtualized environment. For updates on Ciena news, follow us on Twitter @Ciena or on LinkedIn.
Note to Ciena Investors
You are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements that are based on our current expectations, forecasts, information and assumptions. These statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties. Actual results or outcomes may differ materially from those stated or implied, as a result of risks and uncertainties, including those detailed in our most recent annual or quarterly report filed with the SEC. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding our expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies and can be identified by words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.