Jio transforms one of the world’s largest self-healing optical networks with Ciena
Jio, in partnership with Ciena (NYSE: CIEN), has taken another major step in future-proofing its national transport network with ‘Transport SDN’ capabilities. This lays the foundation for an Adaptive Network that can scale with high efficiency and dynamically adapt to fast-changing capacity requirements and application demands.
Jio’s network is powered by Ciena’s multi-terabit optical technology that comes with a control plane that provides self-healing service restoration capabilities to support Jio’s pan-India 4G network core. This technology gives Jio a high-speed, highly resilient mesh network with unprecedented scale to support its surging subscriber base and subsequent data explosion - helping to fuel the digital revolution in India.
As a next step in the Adaptive Network journey, which is aimed at the Enterprise and Fiber to the X (FTTx) market, Jio and Ciena have entered in partnership to deploy Transport SDN architecture. It seamlessly integrates with Jio’s Automation Engine to enable a significant step toward realizing the full potential of multi-layer closed-loop automation. This engagement will enable Jio to achieve service agility at unprecedented scale, with the highest level of quality of experience across Enterprise and FTTx.
The new Network framework will also give Jio more flexibility in launching new services and faster time-to-market. Another key aspect of this initiative will enable Jio to unleash the potential of its automation capabilities to custom build use cases that drive optimization and efficiencies across the network.
- Jio’s automation strategy is helping them transform their network. The full potential of Multi-Layer closed-loop automation becomes possible when all network layers are integrated with Jio’s automation engine.
- Ciena’s T-SDN architecture is built on cloud-native ‘micro-services based’ architecture and has open north bound interfaces which seamlessly integrates with Jio’s automation engine. This will fast track use cases like automated network audits, tighter control on service assurance and agility in rolling out new services to the market, hence driving efficiencies into Jio’s network planning, operations and time to market.
- “Ciena has helped us to create a highly scalable, reliable and self-healing Connect Network Platform that allows us to focus on the front end of our business and deliver the best end-user experience. The addition of automation capabilities is a significant step in our network transformation journey to an Adaptive Network that will enable higher levels of scale and network intelligence, catering to our customer’s evolving digital lifestyles.”
- Jyotindra Thacker, President, Technology & Procurement, Reliance Jio Infocomm Limited, Jio
- “Unprecedented subscriber growth in India is driving the need for faster, more resilient and automated networks – perhaps more so than in any other part of the world. We share a vision with Jio on how to support this increasingly complex and surging traffic growth and look forward to collaborating on a self-configuring and self-optimizing network that leverages automation guided by analytics and intent-based policies.”
- Ryan Perera, Vice President and General Manager, Ciena India
About Reliance Jio Infocomm Limited
Reliance Jio Infocomm Limited (“Jio”), a subsidiary of Reliance Industries Limited (“RIL”), has built a world-class all-IP data strong future proof network with latest 4G LTE technology. It is the only network conceived and born as a Mobile Video Network from the ground up and supporting Voice over LTE technology. It is future ready and can be easily upgraded to support even more data, as technologies advance on to 5G, 6G and beyond.
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is a networking systems, services and software company. We provide solutions that help our clients create the Adaptive Network™ in response to the constantly changing demands of their users. By delivering best-in-class networking technology through high-touch consultative relationships, we build the world’s most agile networks with automation, openness and scale. For updates on Ciena, follow us on Twitter @Ciena, LinkedIn, the Ciena Insights blog, or visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
You are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements that are based on our current expectations, forecasts, information and assumptions. These statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties. Actual results or outcomes may differ materially from those stated or implied, because of risks and uncertainties, including those detailed in our most recent annual and quarterly reports filed with the SEC. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding our expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies and can be identified by words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.