Israel Electric Corporation Modernizes Network with Ciena
Israel Electric Corporation (IEC), the largest supplier of electrical power in Israel, is transforming its network with Ciena’s (NYSE: CIEN) converged packet optical and software platforms to respond to the growing demand for IT and telecommunications services. Ciena’s solutions will also enable IEC to build and deliver secure high-speed broadband services for private overlay networks as part of IEC’s business development activities.
- Through investment in both 100G and OTN switching solutions, IEC is upgrading its network to offer customers resilient network connectivity and minimize the risk of service disruptions. This deployment will also allow the utility to consolidate its network footprint, reduce complexity and lower costs.
- With these upgrades to the network, IEC will be able to deploy the state-of-the-art solutions such as a smart grid and Internet of Things (IoT) services, all from a highly cyber secured environment.
- Utilities like IEC must support high bandwidth, secure connectivity across long distances between data centers and users for their critical data. To address this, IEC will utilize Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform to power a 100G DWDM OTN-switched core network combined with OTN and photonic control planes to significantly improve the capacity and resiliency of the network. The solution leverages Ciena’s WaveLogic Encryption to allow protection of critical in-flight information, without any impact to performance, while the data traverses its network. IEC will also utilize Blue Planet’s Manage, Control and Plan (MCP) software for unified network management and end-to-end service provisioning and planning.
- “Israel Electric Company is upgrading its IT systems with the most innovative and advanced systems in order to supply the best possible service to our customers. Ciena’s innovative solutions will improve network management, enhance data security and increase the speed of data transfer across the organization.”
- Ofer Bloch, Chief Executive Officer, Israel Electric Corporation
- “Transitioning our network from legacy systems to a high-capacity OTN core at a very high bandwidth is critical. An optical transmission infrastructure is increasingly important for the company’s day-to-day functionality. The new technology will enable 100Gb and 200Gb to operate at a very high speed without sacrificing network performance, control and management, reliability or data protection. In seeking a solution, we have selected Ciena’s packet optical platform and management software which suits our current and future needs from a technological, innovation and cost-benefit perspective.”
- Yosi Shneck, Senior Vice President, Israel Electric Corporation
- “Utilities today find themselves at a critical juncture with no choice but to prepare their networks to address new challenges in the industry such as changing consumer behavior and the growing threat of security breaches. Ciena offers field proven, secure packet optical solutions and software to enable utilities to take the first step towards modernization.”
- Virginie Hollebecque, Vice President of Regional Sales in EMEA, Ciena
About Israel Electric Corporation
The Israel Electric Corporation (IEC) is a public and government-owned company, generating and supplying electricity to all sectors; approx. 99.85% of the shares are government-owned. Its activities include the generation, transmission and transformation, distribution, supply and sale of electricity to customers. IEC owns and operates 17 power stations with 63 generating units: 18 steam-driven and 45 gas turbines, of which 14 are combined-cycle units. Its Installed capacity stood on 31.12.16, at 13,617 MW. IEC supplies reliable high-quality electricity, complies with leading service standards, maintaining economic, commercial and environmental principles. As of 31.12.16 IEC employs 11,908 employees and provides service to approx. 2.72M customers. Furthermore, the Company is a licensed essential service supplier (as defined in the Electricity Sector Law, 1996) and functions as constructor of the required infrastructure for the remainder of its activities.
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is a network strategy and technology company. We translate best-in-class technology into value through a high-touch, consultative business model – with a relentless drive to create exceptional experiences measured by outcomes. For updates on Ciena, follow us on Twitter @Ciena, LinkedIn, the Ciena Insights blog, or visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
You are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements that are based on our current expectations, forecasts, information and assumptions. These statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties. Actual results or outcomes may differ materially from those stated or implied, as a result of risks and uncertainties, including those detailed in our most recent annual or quarterly report filed with the SEC. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding our expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies and can be identified by words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.