Global Cloud Xchange Upgrades Transatlantic Route with Ciena
Global Cloud Xchange (GCX) has deployed Ciena’s® (NYSE: CIEN) Packet Networking solutions to enable high-capacity Ethernet services on its transatlantic route. Extending from GCX’s Cloud X location, a high-performance enterprise-class node that serves as a strategic point of presence (POP) in London, the route upgrade ensures seamless global connectivity for international carriers, large multinational enterprises and new media customers. Leveraging Ciena’s packet networking capabilities, GCX is facilitating flexible, high-bandwidth connectivity for global content and application distribution and Internet connectivity, supporting critical business transactions, data-intensive applications and high-bandwidth cloud computing services.
- GCX, a subsidiary of Reliance Communications, is an international integrated communications solutions provider. Its extensive, privately-owned subsea, terrestrial and IP networks connect most major telecommunications hubs across the globe.
- Ciena’s 5160 enables GCX to provide scalable 1G and 10G Ethernet business services as part of its comprehensive data communications portfolio. With industry-leading 10G Ethernet density in a small footprint along with zero-touch provisioning and flexible transport options, the 5160 ensures operational efficiency and accelerates service turn-up.
- GCX is also utilizing Ciena’s advanced management solutions for carrier-grade automated self-service activation, creation, and management to optimize bandwidth utilization across their entire access and submarine network. Ciena is also providing Enablement, Fulfillment and Installation (EF&I) services via its Specialist Service portfolio.
- This deployment builds on a long-standing relationship between Ciena and GCX (formerly Reliance Globalcom) who uses Ciena for its transatlantic subsea routes connecting London to New York and India.
- “GCX is committed to giving our customers the flexibility to create, manage and connect their networks globally and we always ensure that our network leads the industry in technology and cost efficiency. We can now further unify our global network with the upgrades for seamless service delivery along the critical transatlantic corridor to help our global enterprises to transform and succeed in the digital economy.”
- Wilfred Kwan, Chief Operating Officer, Reliance Communications (Enterprise) and Global Cloud Exchange
- “GCX sought to offer its customers 1GE and 10GE bandwidth connectivity with the flexibility to software configure and aggregate traffic across the submarine cable, versus directly connecting to end users to a router port or SLTE. The aggregation capabilities of Ciena's 5160 saves precious submarine bandwidth while software provides a complete view of both the access and submarine networks on one system.”
- Anthony McLachlan, Vice President and General Manager, Asia Pacific, Ciena
- Overview: Packet Networking
- Data Sheet: 5160 Service Aggregation Switch
About Global Cloud XchangeGlobal Cloud Xchange (GCX), a subsidiary of Reliance Communications, offers a comprehensive portfolio of solutions customized for carriers, enterprises and new media companies. GCX owns the world’s largest private undersea cable system spanning more than 67,000 route kms which, seamlessly integrated with Reliance Communications’ 200,000 route kms of domestic optic fiber backbone, provides a robust Global Service Delivery Platform. With connections to 40 key business markets worldwide spanning Asia, North America, Europe and the Middle East, GCX delivers Managed Services to more than 160 countries and offer extensive VPLS-enabled Ethernet network capabilities globally. GCX is equipped to support businesses through the deployment of next generation Enterprise solutions across its Cloud Delivery Networks.
About CienaCiena (NYSE: CIEN) is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. Ciena leverages its deep expertise in packet and optical networking and distributed software automation to deliver solutions in alignment with its OPn architecture for next-generation networks. We enable a high-scale, programmable infrastructure that can be controlled and adapted by network-level applications, and provide open interfaces to coordinate computing, storage and network resources in a unified, virtualized environment. For updates on Ciena news, follow us on Twitter @Ciena or on LinkedIn. Investors are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website at www.ciena.com/investors, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use.
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena's actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-K, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on December 21, 2015. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena's expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.