Ciena to Showcase Software-Defined Carrier-Grade WANs at SDN & OpenFlow World Congress 2014
Europe's principal SDN and NFV event, SDN & OpenFlow World Congress, is set to take place on October 14 -17 in Düsseldorf, Germany and promises to be one of the largest gatherings of the SDN and NFV communities. At the event, Ciena® (NYSE: CIEN) (stands 64/65 and 66) will showcase the software defined networking (SDN) elements of its Agility software portfolio, based on its OPn network architecture, and demonstrate how network programmability and on-demand cloud capabilities benefit operators in the wide-area network (WAN). Additionally, Ciena executives and technical experts will present in several technical sessions, workshops and panel discussions throughout the event.
- Agility software portfolio – Agility enables the delivery of virtualized, on-demand network services and functions, optimizing the network by supporting automated provisioning and dynamic resource allocation. Ciena will show several Agility applications including Navigate, Protect and Optimize, which help operators provision multi-vendor networks with maximum efficiency and resiliency, and rapidly create and deploy new, differentiated dynamic services and applications.
- V-WAN – V-WAN, another key element of Ciena’s Agility portfolio, is a network resource broker and service scheduling application that enables SDN programmability and on-demand services. The demonstration will show how storage, compute and connect environments can work seamlessly together to enable true, on-demand enterprise and data center services.
- Multilayer WAN Controller – Ciena and Ericsson will display the benefits of multilayer control in an SDN environment by demonstrating how multiple classes of service can be delivered in an optimized, multi-vendor environment, with IP VPNs running over an optical infrastructure with coordinated multilayer resiliency. The demonstration features the Ciena/Ericsson Multilayer WAN Controller (MLWC), which is built on the OpenDaylight open source framework.
- 2014 Global Transport SDN Demonstration – Ciena will elaborate on its participation in the recent Optical Internetworking Forum (OIF) and Open Networking Foundation (ONF) 2014 Global Transport SDN Demonstration. Participating OIF and ONF member companies recently united to showcase how carriers can leverage SDN to accelerate the adoption of OpenFlow and Transport SDN technologies that increase network programmability to support new dynamic services.
Speaking Sessions:Ciena executives and subject matter experts are also scheduled to present during several sessions throughout the event.
- 9:10 a.m. CEST – Marc Cohn, Chair, Market Education Committee, Open Networking Foundation, and Senior Director Market Development at Ciena, will chair the ONF/SDN Workshop and present Software Defined Networking and ONF- Vision and Progress.
- 1:30 p.m. CEST- Mitch Auster, Senior Director Market Development at Ciena, along with Mike McBride, Director of Technology at Ericsson, will jointly address How multi-layer control will benefit telecommunications operators.
- 2:10 p.m. CEST– Marc Cohn, Chair, Market Education Committee, Open Networking Foundation, and Senior Director Market Development at Ciena, as well as Jonathan Sadler, OIF TC Vice-Chair at Coriant, will announce the results of the Joint OIF & ONF Transport SDN Carrier-hosted lab testing. The testing, which will be completed this month, provides real-world scenarios for both vendors and carriers to test prototype Transport SDN technology.
- 2:30 p.m. CEST – Lyndon Ong, Principal Technology Officer and Technical Fellow at Ciena, will present SDN for the multilayer WAN, which will address multilayer and multi-domain coordination; network virtualization; optimizing intersection of centralized and distributed control processes as well as the status of relevant standards and industry demonstrations.
- 5:30 p.m. CEST – Steve Adolph, Senior Director in Ciena’s Strategy Office, will take part in the panel discussion Building the Ecosystem for NFV, Role of Open Source.
- 10:00 a.m. CEST – Chris Janz, Vice President of Market Development at Ciena, will present the keynote address Carrier SDN and NFV: reality of an open and multilayer framework driving the information-powered operator, examining the critical difference between true ecosystem and vendor “ego-systems.”
- 4:45 p.m. CEST – Mitch Auster, Senior Director of Market Development at Ciena, will take part in the panel discussion SDN/NFV Innovation.
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. Ciena leverages its deep expertise in packet and optical networking and distributed software automation to deliver solutions in alignment with its OPn architecture for next-generation networks. We enable a high-scale, programmable infrastructure that can be controlled and adapted by network-level applications, and provide open interfaces to coordinate computing, storage and network resources in a unified, virtualized environment. For updates on Ciena news, follow us on Twitter @Ciena or on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/company/ciena. Investors are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website at www.ciena.com/investors, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use.
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena's actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-Q, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on June 11, 2014. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena's expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.