Ciena Upgrades Caucasus Online’s Black Sea Fibre Optic Network
Caucasus Online has selected Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) to enhance its Black Sea fibre optic network to realize an increase in data transfer capacity of up to 5 Tbps. By deploying Ciena’s GeoMesh Extreme submarine solution with high-density 100G transponders, the operator is integrating multi-protocol and low-latency capabilities into its subsea network. As intercontinental data traffic continues to drive bandwidth demands to new levels, Caucasus Online is now able to leverage its submarine optical spectrum for optimized network monetization.
- As the sole owner of the Black Sea submarine cable, Caucasus Online provides critical services in regional communications, acting as a major gateway for internet traffic from Europe to South Caucasus and the Caspian region.
- Collaborating with Ciena and its partner NUTS:iX, Caucasus Online is working to increase the speed and capacity of data transfers across its existing submarine cable, while offering additional benefits such as the ability to adjust bandwidth in real-time to optimize capacity and fibre investment. With Ciena developing the network design, NUTS:iX played a key role in the implementation by coordinating multiple parties to ensure a quick turn-up and minimal downtime.
- Ciena’s network management system provides Caucasus Online with a comprehensive solution to manage mission-critical functions of its network such as inventory management and wavelength provisioning that span across access, metro, and core domains, with visibility through protocol layers such as WDM, OTN and packet services.
- “As we assessed the future of cable infrastructure installed across the Black Sea, it was clear we needed a turn-key solution to address concerns with low data transfer capacity and our existing 100G network assets. By selecting Ciena’s GeoMesh Extreme submarine solution, we are providing even more effective and reliable high-bandwidth data transfer across the region.”
- Giorgi Shanidze, CEO, Caucasus Online LLC
- “Telecommunications networks face a tough prospect of continually meeting growing requirements, stimulated by changes in the market, bandwidth demand and new technology or even changes in network topology. We help our customers to future-proof their IT operations through innovative solutions and we’re proud to be working with Ciena, an established market leader in network strategy and next-generation infrastructure that guarantees our clients can continue to assert themselves in an increasingly competitive marketplace.”
- Moussa Remmo, Chief Executive Officer, NUTS:iX GmbH
- “As operators across the globe continue to see increasing demand for high-bandwidth applications, programmable infrastructure such as Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical platform and WaveLogic coherent optics enable our customers to create better cost structures and agility, laying the foundation for more adaptive networks that can truly address required changes to their network.”
- Daniel Prokop, Director of Central Europe, Channels, Ciena
About Caucasus Online
Caucasus Online is the leading telecommunications company in the Caucasus region. Caucasus Online was formed in 2006 by the merger of major Georgian ISPs: Caucasus Network, Georgia Online, SaNet and Telenet. Since 2008, Caucasus Online has been the sole owner of a 1,200 kilometer submarine fibre-optic cable constructed by Tyco Electronics (today known as TE Subcom) to provide a high-quality fibre-optic Internet connection between Europe to South Caucasus and the Caspian Region.
NUTS:iX is a solutions integrator and Ciena partner with a strong focus on data centers, ISPs and carrier markets. NUTS:IX is an agile partner with strong IT and network know how. NUTS:iX provides consultancy, hardware distribution, installation, maintenance, and support. For more information visit www.nutsix.de.
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is a network strategy and technology company. We translate best-in-class technology into value through a high-touch, consultative business model – with a relentless drive to create exceptional experiences measured by outcomes. For updates on Ciena, follow us on Twitter @Ciena, LinkedIn, the Ciena Insights blog, or visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
You are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements that are based on our current expectations, forecasts, information and assumptions. These statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties. Actual results or outcomes may differ materially from those stated or implied, as a result of risks and uncertainties, including those detailed in our most recent annual or quarterly report filed with the SEC. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding our expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies and can be identified by words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.