Colt Deploys Pan-Regional Optical Network with Ciena
Colt Technology Services is deploying Ciena's® (NYSE: CIEN) packet-optical technology to future proof the bandwidth demands of its customers driven by the explosion of IT applications, data, content and cloud computing. The partnership with Ciena strengthens Colt’s high-bandwidth push across Europe and Asia, enabling flexible, ultra-high bandwidth services across its 100Gbps-enabled metro and multi-terabit backbone networks. This network upgrade supports growth across a number of key European markets including London, Frankfurt, Paris and Amsterdam as well as improving intercontinental connections into Asia including Tokyo, Hong Kong and Singapore.
- Colt provides high-bandwidth network and communications services for enterprises and wholesale businesses across Europe, Asia and North America. It delivers a range of data connectivity products, voice solutions and secure network services for global financial markets, and enables connectivity to over 700 data centres around the globe with more than 24,500 on-net buildings and growing.
- Colt’s scaled up and robust connectivity enables increased access to high-bandwidth applications and extends the reach and scale of its network. Ciena’s 6500 platform helps Colt deliver ultra-high bandwidth services for enterprise and data centre interconnect (DCI) applications across Europe. Additionally, it supports new customer benefits for business continuity, digital transformation and wholesale terrestrial needs.
- Ciena’s 6500 platform, powered by WaveLogic coherent technology, provides Colt the ability to initially deliver services up to 100G over of a mix of 100G and 200G wavelengths, laying the groundwork to provide higher bit-rate services of 200G, 400G and Flexible Ethernet in the future. With the programmability and flexibility offered with WaveLogic, providers like Colt can tailor the technology to meet their unique core-to-door requirements, including multi-vendor interoperability within their network.
- “As the applications and infrastructure that power businesses increasingly move into the cloud and the data centre, the demand for reliable, scalable, and high-quality, business-grade connectivity continues to grow. By partnering with leading technology firms like Ciena, we are signaling our commitment to providing the intelligent, high-bandwidth networks enterprises require. Our new network will hugely benefit customers across Europe and Asia. We’re excited to be working with Ciena to help deliver this next-generation digital infrastructure.”
- Rajiv Datta, CTO, Colt Technology Services
- “Demand for high-bandwidth services is increasing daily, and service providers need flexible, scalable and programmable optical solutions to stay ahead of the curve and reach a broader base of customers. Ciena’s industry-leading packet optical solutions give operators like Colt a network that provides increased capacity for a range of needs including Ethernet, DCI and cloud computing services.”
- Joe Marsella, CTO, EMEA, Ciena
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is a network strategy and technology company. We translate best-in-class technology into value through a high-touch, consultative business model – with a relentless drive to create exceptional experiences measured by outcomes. For updates on Ciena, follow us on Twitter @Ciena, LinkedIn, the Ciena Insights blog, or visit www.ciena.com.
About Colt Technology Services
Colt provides high bandwidth services for enterprises and wholesale customers in Europe, Asia and North America’s largest business hubs. Colt enables the digital transformation of businesses through its intelligent, purpose-built, cloud-integrated network, known as the Colt IQ Network. It connects over 700 data centres around the globe, with over 24,500 on-net buildings and growing. Colt is also recognised as an innovator and pioneer in software defined networks (SDN) and network function virtualisation (NFV).
Colt has built its reputation on putting its customers first, with a focus on delivering true local presence and agility for enterprises that are global yet need local attention. Customers include data intensive organisations spanning over 200 connected cities in nearly 30 countries. Colt counts 19 of the top 25 global telecoms companies and 18 out of the top 25 global media companies (Forbes 2000 list, 2016) amongst its customers. In addition, Colt works with over 50 exchange venues and 13 European central banks. Owned by Fidelity Investments, Colt is one of the most financially sound companies in its industry, providing the best customer experience at a competitive price. For more information, please visit www.colt.net.
Note to Ciena Investors
You are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements that are based on our current expectations, forecasts, information and assumptions. These statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties. Actual results or outcomes may differ materially from those stated or implied, as a result of risks and uncertainties, including those detailed in our most recent annual or quarterly report filed with the SEC. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding our expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies and can be identified by words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.