Ciena to Showcase Service Provider SDN at Open Networking Summit
Ciena® Corporation (NASDAQ: CIEN), the network specialist, will showcase the Software Defined Networking (SDN) elements of its OPn network architecture, in booth #107 at the Open Networking Summit (ONS) in Santa Clara, April 15-17. Demonstrations will illustrate how Ciena’s OPn architecture and its SDN-oriented solution elements transform the economics and utility of networks and network operations. Featured in Ciena’s demonstration will be the V-WAN Network Services Module, new software that can be introduced into existing network environments, which leverages WAN virtualization to deliver key software-driven networking capabilities and directly enables intelligent network-based Performance-on-Demand.
- SDN-based Control for Dynamic WAN Resource and Service Performance Management (Ciena Booth #107): Ciena will demonstrate how SDN-driven service delivery optimizes WAN performance and resource allocation for cloud infrastructures and services – leveraging automation and centralized intelligence.
- The demonstration’s physical network mimics that of actual service provider Ethernet –based networks to show the utility of SDN in existing deployments.
- Two service scenarios will be jointly demonstrated: multi-site HD video streaming and customer-driven cloud bursting in a hybrid IaaS service context.
- Ciena’s V-WAN Network Services Module and IT-WAN Application Services Module will be shown to automate provisioning, network virtualization and dynamic bandwidth management.
- Monday, April 15 at 9:00 a.m. PT: Marc Cohn, senior director of market development at Ciena and Chairman of the Market Education committee for the Open Networking Foundation (ONF), will lead the tutorial for the SDN Market Opportunities session and present “An overview of SDN.”
- Monday, April 15 at 11:30 a.m. PT: Chris Janz, vice president of market development at Ciena, will present on “OpenFlow-based SDN for the Carriers.” This session will address the value proposition for OpenFlow-based SDN for select carrier opportunities.
- Monday, April 15 at 4:15 pm PT: Marc Cohn, senior director of market development at Ciena and Chairman of the Market Education committee for the ONF, will lead the “State of SDN” panel.
Ciena is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. Ciena leverages its deep expertise in packet and optical networking and distributed software automation to deliver solutions in alignment with OPn, its approach for building open next-generation networks. We enable a high-scale, programmable infrastructure that can be controlled and adapted by network-level applications, and provide open interfaces to coordinate computing, storage and network resources in a unified, virtualized environment. We routinely post recent news, financial results and other important announcements and information about Ciena on our website. For more information, visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena's actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-Q, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on March 13, 2013. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena's expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.