Ciena Drives High Performance Computing at SC15
Attendees at SC Conference 2015 (SC15), taking place November 15-20 in Austin, will have the opportunity to see a series of demonstrations that show how Ciena® (NYSE: CIEN) is supporting the extensive demands of High Performance Computing (HPC) with programmable and scalable networking solutions and software. Additionally, as part of its backing for this international conference on HPC, networking, storage and analysis, Ciena will support SCinet via the 6500 Packet-Optical Platform by providing high-capacity connectivity for SC15 and its exhibitors. Ciena’s industry-leading 8700 Packetwave Platform with WaveLogic 3 Nano coherent optical processors will operate over LEARN: Lonestar Education and Research Network within Dallas, Houston and Austin to support the demands of the show’s attendees by leveraging the convergence of high-speed packet switching with integrated DWDM coherent optics.
Ciena has long-standing partnerships with several of the world’s leading research institutions. Joint R&E demonstrations include:
- Secure Autonomous Response Networks (SARNET): Leveraging SDN to revolutionize network security (booth #933) – Research networks are under constant cyber-security threats like distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks. Leveraging Ciena’s 8700, the Dutch government research office, the University of Amsterdam and other industry partners will demonstrate how the network can obtain the knowledge needed to identify, prepare for and mitigate security cyber-attacks.
- Ciena Environment for Network Innovation (CENI) (booth #933) – Network researchers are developing advanced orchestration and provisioning tools to respond in a more automated, application-sensitive, and software-defined way. In collaboration with the National Science Foundation’s (NSF) Global Environment for Network Innovations (GENI) project, Ciena will show how dynamic multi-layer network orchestration might be visualized and managed in the near future.
- Network Services Interface (NSI) Support (booth #749) - The Open Cloud Consortium-International Center for Advanced Internet Research and Northwestern University will utilize Ciena’s 8700 Packetwave Platform to support multiple high scale software-defined networking (SDN)-driven bandwidth demonstrations.
Ciena High Performance Network Demonstrations (booth #933):
- Data Center Interconnect – Ciena will show how its Waveserver platform is achieving new benchmarks for transport economics while simultaneously reducing power and space requirements. The openness and programmability of the platform enable automatic connection set-up and tear down through open Application Programming Interfaces (APIs).
- Secure High-speed Connectivity for Big Science Collaboration - This demonstration will leverage the multi-Terabit 6500 Packet-Optical Platform part of Ciena’s Assured Networking solution, to show a simple-to-implement, high capacity, encryption solution for securing virtually all in-flight data, all the time, whether it is traveling across the street, across borders or oceans.
- Blue Planet Multi-Domain Service Orchestration – This demonstration will give an overview of how Blue Planet software streamlines automation of the network service lifecycle across multi-vendor and multi-domain environments. It will highlight how SDN, network functions virtualization (NFV), open APIs and advanced information models provide a vendor-agnostic and programmable software platform that is highly customizable, allowing service providers to adopt a software-centric approach to service delivery and network operations.
- Wednesday, November 18 at 9:00 a.m. CST - Ciena’s CTO Steve Alexander and Rod Wilson, External Research Director, along with other industry leaders will lead a virtual discussion at Ciena’s booth on the exploration of HPC in action.
SC15, sponsored by IEEE Computer Society and ACM (Association for Computing Machinery) offers a complete technical education program and exhibition to showcase the many ways high performance computing, networking, storage and analysis lead to advances in scientific discovery, research, education and commerce. This premier international conference includes a globally attended technical program, workshops, tutorials, a world class exhibit area, demonstrations and opportunities for hands-on learning. SCinet, SC15’s production and research high-performance network, connects SC to the rest of the world for the duration of the conference. For more information on SC15, please visit: http://sc15.supercomputing.org. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. Ciena leverages its deep expertise in packet and optical networking and distributed software automation to deliver solutions in alignment with its OPn architecture for next-generation networks. We enable a high-scale, programmable infrastructure that can be controlled and adapted by network-level applications, and provide open interfaces to coordinate computing, storage and network resources in a unified, virtualized environment. For updates on Ciena news, follow us on Twitter @Ciena or on LinkedIn. Investors are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website at www.ciena.com/investors, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use.
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena's actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-Q, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on September 9, 2015. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena's expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.