Cablevisión Argentina and Ciena Deploy 200G Network
Cablevisión Argentina is laying the groundwork to meet the surging demands for high-speed internet and video offerings including IPTV Project FLOW, an innovative service that offers Video on Demand, digital video recording and original content to any device connected to the internet. Utilizing Ciena’s (NYSE: CIEN) converged packet optical solutions, the network enhancements will also provide the needed scalable bandwidth to support Cablevisión Argentina’s internet service provider division – Fibertel.
- As Cablevisión Argentina’s customers have migrated from analog cable TV to high-definition digital packages, the demand on its metro network has increased by 50 percent per year. Ciena’s 200G solution adds flexibility and increased capacity to not only meet this demand, but also scale to future-proof Cablevisión Argentina’s network assets.
- OTT and multiple screen services like FLOW are driving more traffic to the network and creating new opportunities for unpredictable demands. With Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform, the network can react as needed, allowing customers to access the programming they desire. The platform also doubles the capacity of Cablevisión Argentina’s metro network while reducing costs, space and power needs. Additionally, Ciena’s flexible grid photonics allows Cablevisión Argentina to respond to unpredictable traffic demands and seamlessly scale to higher capacity wavelengths, such as 400G, when needed.
- With this new 200G metro network, Cablevisión Argentina can quickly and cost efficiently deliver new high-speed services, utilizing the same 6500 platform deployed across its long-haul and regional networks.
- Building on a long-standing relationship with Cablevisión Argentina, Ciena is also providing a full range of professional services via its Ciena Specialist Services portfolio.
- “In order to launch our new IPTV Project Flow and give our customers anytime and anywhere access to the programing they want it was crucial to have the right infrastructure in place. Ciena’s solutions give us the flexibility, scale and confidence to know we can seamlessly deliver this new service to our customers and meet the growing demand for years to come.”
- Guillermo Fiorenza, Head of Transport and Network Solutions at Cablevisión Argentina
- “As carriers like Cablevisión Argentina evolve their offerings and introduce new innovative applications, it puts significant pressure on their networks. Our converged packet optical solutions give Cablevisión Argentina a reliable and modernized infrastructure that can keep up with their customers’ growing expectations for the latest on-demand services.”
- Fabio Medina, Vice President of Sales and General Manager, Latin America at Ciena
About Cablevisión Argentina
Cablevisión is a telecommunications company present in 12 provinces and 90 cities all along Argentina. Cablevisión SA is divided into three major business units offering different services. Cablevisión, providing state-of-the-art paid TV services unlike any other in the market; Fibertel, providing high-speed internet services and FiberCorp, which is Fibertel's corporate business unit providing comprehensive solutions in telecommunications to small, medium and large companies. We currently have 3.5 million cable TV customers and more than 2 million broadband customers.
Cablevisión's network covers 50,000 kilometers and it is connected through an urban fiber-optics network extending over more than 12,600 kilometers. The company has also developed and broadened an intercity Backbone of over 9.500 kilometers, which, along with its Core and Metro networks, connects the interior regions of the country. This provided a strong, reliable network enabling the company to provide a variety of services such as Digital TV, High-Definition channels, our Video On Demand platform, and broadband connections reaching 50Mb.
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is a network strategy and technology company. We translate best-in-class technology into value through a high-touch, consultative business model – with a relentless drive to create exceptional experiences measured by outcomes. For updates on Ciena, follow us on Twitter @Ciena, LinkedIn, the Ciena Insights blog, or visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
You are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements that are based on our current expectations, forecasts, information and assumptions. These statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties. Actual results or outcomes may differ materially from those stated or implied, as a result of risks and uncertainties, including those detailed in our most recent annual or quarterly report filed with the SEC. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding our expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies and can be identified by words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.